Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retain Citizenship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocean_floor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retain Citizenship
    Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 12:34am
Hi Everyone! 

Just wanna check and see if you guys know anything about how to retain canadian citizenship. I became a citizen in 2007 but have been living outside of Canada for 3 years now. I am just wondering if there's certain thing that I have to do to retain my citizenship. I am not too sure when I will be back in Canada to live for an extended period of time anymore.  

I also read on CIC about the new citizenship rule ( the change to the 1947 citizenship act http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/retention.asp ). I don't think this apply to me, but I just want to make sure about that. 

Thanks a lot for the help beforehand! 

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 12:52am
If you are a naturalized Canadian citizen you retain your citizenship unless or until formal proceedings are brought to revoke your citizenship, which is very rare and is applicable only in very narrow circumstances -- I believe some sort of fraud in obtaining citizenship must be shown.

Merely living outside Canada has no detrimental impact on your Canadian citizenship.

Indeed, your children born after you obtained Canadian citizenship will all be Canadian citizens, by descent, no matter where they were born. But, unless they themselves are born in Canada, any of their children who are born abroad will not be Canadian citizens (this is the "new" law you refer to).
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic