Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsorship with criminal inadmissibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsurf0826 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 4:48pm
Yea I have copies of everything I sent to the consulate, I am going to bring everything. I just don't have the original copies of FBI report and conviction report, so hopefully the copies will suffice?
akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 5:17pm
There is currently a thread on reddit, where a CBSA officer answers questions. I've seen a bit on TRPs and DUI convictions there. It's still live, so you may want to ask your questions. Link - http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/w4hvr/iama_canada_border_services_agent_at_a_major/
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 10:07am
I thought the answer was illuminating at worth preserving in this thread.

Here's the question:

I was turned away at the border 14months ago for a minor shoplifting charge. I have a gf that lives in brampton, ontario. I have used resources to be able to try and overcome my inadmissibility and finally got the right guidance and submitted my application for a TRP in March. They sent me back a letter with a receipt and stating that it was processing. My gf's gma has not been doing well and she has become very depressed. She is having a very big family reunion this weekend that she wants anything more in the world for me to attend. I called the consulate to see what I could do since I have yet to receive my TRP. They told me that if I did not receive it before my intended date of travel to bring it to the POE as well as the receipt and other supporting documents. I have a roundtrip flight planned just for the weekend. I have a full time job and more than enough money. I was wondering what my chances will be when I go to the border at the airport and explain my situation. I dont want an extended TRP or anything more than just the weekend. This is just s important to my girlfriend and I know she wants me to be with her grandmother before anything happens. She is 83 her kidneys are failing and she just got a pacemaker put in. What do you think my chances are?

and the answer:

I would say they were pretty good. If you bring documents showing that you've made every attempt at overcoming your inadmissibility as well as showing there are humanitarian or compassionate grounds with a sick person in your life I would say you would have enough. Your charge is very recent but shoplifting is hardly a dangerous crime. If you've been turned away before you will definately be sent for an immigration secondary exam again so be sure to have all your documentation with you and ready. Own up to your conviction. Don't say it was your friend and you were just with him or that it was a misunderstanding. Lack of repsonsibility or remorse will only work against you. Kill them with kindness and explain your situation and you should be ok. But it's not a 100% sure thing but it's definately worth a try.

The person answering the question claims to be a CBSA officer at a Canadian airport with 10 years experience.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic