Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canadian Employment / Jobs > Canada Job Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbcpa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question
    Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 7:37am
Can somebody help me?
I am planning to land in Torinto in mid Decemeber,  I will stay there for a week then leave to my country. Then I will come back for good with my family next June, my question is after I leave next next December how will I come back as I have not got my PR card?

Thank you in Advance!
ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 2:57pm
Hi mbcpa1, with regards to coming back to Toronto after you do your landing, you will have to apply for the PR card when you arrive in Toronto.

If you have any relatives or friends here in Toronto with whom you will be staying, you can use their address to have your PR cards mailed there (since you will require a Canadian address). You can then request your relative or friend to mail them to you.

You can review this Canadian Newcomer's Checklist to understand the application process.

Hope this helps...all the best!

Cheers,
AJ
mbcpa1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbcpa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 4:43am
Thank you AJ for your kind reply, also I have another question regarding the driver licence, I have a licence from my country since 1992, also I have a licence from Los Angeles but it's expired! Will these help me?

Thank youWink
ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by mbcpa1 mbcpa1 wrote:

Thank you AJ for your kind reply, also I have another question regarding the driver licence, I have a licence from my country since 1992, also I have a licence from Los Angeles but it's expired! Will these help me?

Thank youWink

Hi mbcpa1, yes, having previous driving experience does help, especially if it's from the US (and a few other countries).

I'm not sure of the exact requirements on expired licences, however, you can find out more by visiting their website. This page is specifically focused on questions that you have. They have a phone # to call in case of specific questions.

FYI, you will be applying for the "G" level licence. The normal progression is G1, G2 and G for those without previous driving experience.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
AJ Smile
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 5:21pm
Clarifications:

You do NOT separately apply for the PR card following landing. Once you land, a PR card will be sent to your Canadian address (if you will not have a Canadian address perhaps call CIC and ask about alternatives; or, if you have someone you totally trust with a Canadian address, have it sent there -- they can hold it for you or even send it to you).

If you then go abroad without first receiving the PR card, to return to Canada via commercial transportation (especially flying) you will probably need to obtain a Travel Document from the nearest Canadian embassy; this can take some time, so look into and plan for this in advance of the date you plan to return to Canada. If your nationality is a country which is visa-exempt, you may be able to board a commercial flight showing your CoPR and passport; check ahead of time. If not from a visa-exempt country you will definitely need either the PR card or a Travel Document (authorization to travel to Canada) to board a commercial flight destined for Canada. If, somehow, you are arriving via private transportation at a land crossing, your passport and CoPR should be sufficient to obtain entry into Canada.

I assume that PR visas have been issued to family you plan to accompany you in June, and that either the visas are dated to remain valid until June or they plan to land with you in December (or at least prior to the date the visas will expire) and then return with you in June.

As for the drivers' license:

Which country your valid license is from matters, although if your Calif license (assuming you meant you had a Calif. license, since Los Angeles does not issue drivers' licenses) expired recently it may be useful relative to establishing driving experience that will qualify you for a regular class of license (as opposed to the graduated licensing classes for new drivers). See Ontario government information found at the sites I've given the url for below.

see:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/
for general information regarding driver's licenses in Ontario

see, in particular:
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

The latter goes into a good deal of detail about establishing driving experience in order to obtain a G level license.

Edited by dpenabill - 29 Nov 2010 at 5:21pm
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
mbcpa1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbcpa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 5:59am
Thank you guys for your replies.
- As for the landing in Dec. and after I read your replies I am reconsidering doing that, I think I will do with my family (wife &Kids) next June, our visa expire on June 26.2011.

- About driving Licence, my calif. licence expired long time ago! I guess back on 1998, I do not think It will help me any more, but I have a driving licence from my country Jordan since 1992, I guess I will need to get a "Letter of Authentication from the authorities in Jordan.

Thank you again for your help.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 4:17pm
Probably good idea, but I would offer one caution: stuff happens in the world and stuff particularly happens to flight schedules. PR visas ordinarily cannot be extended, and thus must be used by the date that they expire. Strongly suggest that you do not cut this close -- that is, be sure to leave enough of a margin between your planned flight date and the date the visas expire to allow for unexpected delays.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Job Coach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Job Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 10:00am
Here is a link with some quick reference information on things to do when preparing to enter the Canadian workforce for the first time.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic