Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Country of Birth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mexique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Country of Birth?
    Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 3:38pm

The TRV application includes form 5645E Family Information.  The form asks for the Country of Birth and I am confused on what to put.  (Seems like this form just changed in Sept of this year, the old form asked for Citizenship)

If one was born in country X but is a Canadian Citizen (via descent) what is the correct answer for the “Country of Birth” question?  Is it country X because that is where he was born or is it Canada because he was born a Canadian Citizen?

I would really like to get this question answered correctly as I may be applying for PR at some time in the future (Outland).  (Right now just applying for multiple entry TRV)

(X country has no visa requirement for entry into Canada)

Thank you for any assistance

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 4:40am
That form, I believe, is simply asking for the "country of birth" as information about when and where the respective person (member of the applicant's family) was born. This is information primarily related to identity, not as indication of status or citizenship.

Where one was born may or may not determine citizenship, depending on the laws of that nation.

In contrast, one can be a citizen of a country other than the one in which they were born.

But, the country of one's birth is the country in which the person was actually born, regardless of status.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Mexique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mexique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 8:43pm
Thanks for your reply.  That is what I thought and now I feel better that someone else see it the same way I do. 

Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic