Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proving Common-Law Satus For Work Permit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShelbyMarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proving Common-Law Satus For Work Permit
    Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 10:47pm
Hi,

My Boyfriend of 3 years started a PHD program at McGill in September, and we did not know about "common law status" when he applied for his student visa... thus it doesn't mention me on it.

We have two leases stating that we lived together for over a year, but when he spoke to someone at the boarder they gave him a very hard time saying that there is no proof that we didn't break up when he went to Canada (i was finishing my undergrad degree in the US). I have traveled to Montreal once or twice a month to visit him....

Has anyone else been in this situation?? Does anyone have any advice on convincing them that we are Common Law Partners??
peachy871 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 11:10pm
I have not been in this situation but I would think that providing proof of your frequent visits would be a good place to start.

Why were they giving him trouble at the border regarding you if he already had a student visa?
Peachy
ShelbyMarie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShelbyMarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 10:04am
Well I am trying to get an "Open" work permit through his student visa, and they were giving him trouble because he didn't say he had a common law partner when he applied for the student visa... I think the guy he talked to was uncommonly mean, He gave my boyfriend a mini lecture about how Americans think they can do whatever they want and such. Hopefully when I go back with him, we don't get the same guy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic