Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First name change and PR card

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimberRosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First name change and PR card
    Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 1:19am

I have been living in Canada for a few months now and have noticed that my first name is pronounced very wrong. It doesn't sound anything like it should be pronounced and sounds very weird and ugly. I am thinking about having my first name changed. BC Vital Statistics has a procedure for this, but I think I might have a problem if I change my first name, change my PR card but still travel with my old passport which has my old first name in it.

My home country does not allow name change easily. Only in case of protection or if the name is a big burden because of its meaning. I was happy to read about the chance to change my name legally, but I am bit worried about traveling with a passport and a pr card which do not carry the same name... On the other hand, a few weeks ago I was traveling back from the US and the border didn't want to see my passport; they said that in the future I should only give them my PR card.
What to do? I have to be sure that i can travel, but BC Statistics and the border are unable to answer this question for me... Thanks for your reply.  
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 10:25am
It will be a big problem at airports if names on passport and PR card are different......specially in a security-phobia world now.

So don't take a risk. Name on both documents should be the same.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 1:34pm
Hi

Originally posted by TimberRosa TimberRosa wrote:

<FONT style=": #f8f8e0">I have been living in Canada for a few months now and have noticed that my first name is pronounced very wrong. It doesn't sound anything like it should be pronounced and sounds very weird and ugly. I am thinking about having my first name changed. BC Vital Statistics has a procedure for this, but I think I might have a problem if I change my first name, change my PR card but still travel with my old passport which has my old first name in it.

My home country does not allow name change easily. Only in case of protection or if the name is a big burden because of its meaning. I was happy to read about the chance to change my name legally, but I am bit worried about traveling with a passport and a pr card which do not carry the same name... On the other hand, a few weeks ago I was traveling back from the US and the border didn't want to see my passport; they said that in the future I should only give them my PR card.

What to do? I have to be sure that i can travel, but BC Statistics and the border are unable to answer this question for me... Thanks for your reply.  

1. You can do it, but you would have to carry proof of the name change with your passport if the name is not changed on the passport. see: http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/name/eligible.html
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic