Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enter by land

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annexdan11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enter by land
    Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 9:44am
Can anyone tell me what the best way to enter Canada is, without being asked too many questions?

----I've failed to meet the 730 day requisite, by still hold a valid PR card, also,
I am not a US citizen----

I figure the best way is by land, and was thinking of going to Detroit and taking a bus, has anyone done this? Any other POE from the States that anyone could recommend? Any particular time of day?

Thanks.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 12:46am
I am not sure about Canadian law in this regard, but I know that the U.S. makes it a crime to engage in POE shopping, that is, choosing to attempt entry at a particular POE based on an expectation of more lenient enforcement or less intrusive scrutiny. Not sure how anyone gets prosecuted without confessing to having done so, but, just the fact that they make it an offense illustrates the extent to which it is discouraged. By the U.S. anyway. Canada, I do not know.

While the Detroit/Windsor crossing is perhaps one of the busiest crossings, if not the busiest, and busier often (but not always) translates into more routine, more acquainted with all sorts of "differences" among travelers and so less likely to be overly reactive, and thus one might say easier, when it comes to a returning PR I suspect there are some fairly well-defined, more or less routine policies, which will more or less dictate the likely "routine" in any busy POE (including a major airport POE). So it is hard to say, and indeed, I suspect the difference is more likely to be luck of the draw in terms of particular officers rather than which POE -- albeit, indeed, best to avoid the smaller, less busy POE.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 1:13am
Well I don't know about the POE's in terms of easiness, but one thing I do know is that each day spent outside Canada makes it even more difficult to return (or it can cause additional scrutiny from cbsa), especially when somebody is NOT meeting the obligations.

There is no "easy" way to beat the residency obligations. The "easiest" thing to do is to return asap....however I do agree to some extent that cbsa is more sensitive at airports for ALL travelers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic