Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Work Permit Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Work Permit Questions
    Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:03pm
I've been trying to ask questions about getting my work permit. Seems there really isn't anyone you can call just to get a few general questions answered.

I have been offered a job near Montreal. I want to find out exactly what papers I need to file vs what papers need to be filed by the company hiring me.

I also have a question regarding the work permit application. It says you need to prove that you can financially substain yourself and your family. I'm going to be starting work as soon as I get there, probably withing a week of physically moving there, so exactly how much money do they expect you to have ahead of time? And will it effect things, that I'll be moving in with my boyfriend whom already lives in Montreal, since I won't have expenses such as rent and stuff when I initially move there?

They also say that they want a reference letter from your current employer. What if I don't have one?

Now, I know traveling up to Canada to visit with my son (he is 2) since me and his father (my ex) have no legal custody papers, he has to have a "consent to travel" form along with his passport that is signed by his father and notarized basically saying that his father gives him permission to travel to and from Canada with me, so they know i'm not skipping the border with my son. Will I need a similar thing when I move? A notarized consent form saying his father gives him permission to relocate to Canada with me?

And what is the likely hood of having to have medical exams done for me and my son?

Any information is appreciated. I've read through the CIC websites, and I think I understand, but I want to make sure that I'm doing every last thing correctly before I submit forms and do not do it correctly, because I do not want to lose the job I'm getting because of some papers not being filed correctly.
JGK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 10:00pm
Has your employer applied for a labour market opinion http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

If this comes back as a positive, then you  send a copy of this in with your work permit application paperwork. (this process can take 3 - 4 months.

As regards funds, you don't have to have a huge amount if you are going to be in a job immediately ( i think I had about 7K in funds when I came over but i was starting work immediately.

can't help with the rest.
Set out to leave the first vapour trail in the blue-sky scenario.
manila visa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manila visa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 11:25pm
of course you can apply for it but make sure that you can really prove to them that you are financially stable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic