Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canadian Employment / Jobs > Canada Job Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travel Agent / Airline job

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nina.roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travel Agent / Airline job
    Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 12:42pm
Dear Forum Members,

Me and my husband recently recieved our PR to Canada and we are planning to land into Toronto in some time. My husband worked for Indian Airlines for like 7 years in India and then moved to London with me after marriage. He has been working as a Senior travel consultant here for like 3-4 years now.

I understand that getting a job for non-IT professionals is very tough in Toronto (infact all of Canada). I was just looking for guindance on what steps we need to start taking to secure a Travel related job in Toronto. We can't seem to find travel jobs via job sites. What chance does he have getting an Airline job? Does he need to study in Canada to penetrate the job market there?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Nina.
There is always light at the end of the tunnel
ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 1:52pm
Hello Nina,

Congrats on receiving your PR to Canada and wishing you the best as you and your hubby prepare for the move!

With regards to job scene in Canada, it is still a challenge, but there are jobs. The important thing is to remain open to initially help get your foot into the door.

In terms of travel-related jobs in Canada, it would help to get a certification in the field. Your hubby has a considerable amount of experience and that will definitely help.

I would suggest contacting the CITC (The Canadian Institute of Travel Counsellors) which is a non-profit organization. Here is their website: http://www.citc.ca/content/en/index-e.asp

Basically, there are two certifications CTC and CTM and there are benefits of getting membership at the CTIC (see the Member Services section) including access to job postings in travel. I believe they have a forum too which would help.

Hope this helps and once again all the best!

Cheers,
AJ :)
nina.roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nina.roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by ajgodinho ajgodinho wrote:

Hello Nina,Congrats on receiving your PR to Canada and wishing you the best as you and your hubby prepare for the move!With regards to job scene in Canada, it is still a challenge, but there are jobs. The important thing is to remain open to initially help get your foot into the door.In terms of travel-related jobs in Canada, it would help to get a certification in the field. Your hubby has a considerable amount of experience and that will definitely help.I would suggest contacting the CITC (The Canadian Institute of Travel Counsellors) which is a non-profit organization. Here is their website: http://www.citc.ca/content/en/index-e.aspBasically, there are two certifications CTC and CTM and there are benefits of getting membership at the CTIC (see the Member Services section) including access to job postings in travel. I believe they have a forum too which would help.Hope this helps and once again all the best!Cheers,AJ :)

Hi AJ, u are a very helpful person, n I found the link in your signature very usefull too. Thank u veeeeerryy much! God bless, tc.
There is always light at the end of the tunnel
ajgodinho View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajgodinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 12:23am
Hey Nina, you're most welcome and thanks much for your kind words! :)
Also, I'm glad you found my Squidoo lens useful. A lot of work went into it and I created it especially to help newcomers. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.
God bless you too!
Cheers for now,
AJ :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic