Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3rd time work permit extension of canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmontonguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3rd time work permit extension of canada
    Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 2:25pm
Hi All,

I'm in canada from last 2 1/2 years on work permit. My company lawyers are getting my permit extended for the 3rd time. What are the chances guys for getting work permit extended also is there any years limit that we can get work permit extended like a temperory foreign worker can only work for 2 years and after that he has to leave. Can anybody please help me out.
Baljinder
sukh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 4:14am
i think i read it somewhere its 4 years total for work-permit acc to new rules
JGK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 12:29am
I've been in Canada since 2001, I've had 3 different jobs all on TWPs
Set out to leave the first vapour trail in the blue-sky scenario.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 7:05am
A friend of mine was routinely renewing his work permit for years. Bought a home here. His family was more Canadian than American (though I think even the youngest was born in the U.S prior to their coming to Canada). I am not sure what his long term plan was, but I do know he was surprised when he was advised he needed to apply for permanent residence and even more surprised, a year later, when they almost did not renew (extend) his work status because he had not yet applied for permanent status . . . and has since gone through a lot of stress associated with the whole process. Finally got their PR apps in, but not before needing yet one more renewal/extension (which did not come easily). Last time I talked to him he had overlooked (not seen, not received due to a spam filter, not sure why) an email from CIC and his whole family was called to go to Buffalo. They are anxious. Probably see him this weekend. I hope all has gone well. (If they didn't, I suppose I might not see him this weekend.)

For them I think it was about seven or eight years before CIC said something along the lines: this long in Canada, this long at this job, suggests that it is not really for an "indefinite or temporary" period of time, more like permanent . . . you need to apply for permanent status. But I also get the impression that timeline is shrinking, as in most other things related to CIC and CBSA and border controls in general getting more formal and tighter. It might depend on where all this is happening and the local office here might be more difficult about long term "indefinite" duration work relationships than in other locations in Canada. Not sure.

But sooner or later, long term employment or residence does not pass the "temporary/indefinite" test.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic