Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Student Visa Rejected due to Regulation 179

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RammStern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Student Visa Rejected due to Regulation 179
    Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 5:05am
Okay, so I just got the DHL back today after I posted my previous question yesterday. Unfortunately our visas have been rejected due to Regulation 179. It says:

"You have not satisfied me that you meet the requirements of Regulation 179; that you would leave Canada at the end of the temporary period if you were authorized to stay. In reaching this decision I considered your ties to your country of residence/citizenship balanced against factors which might motivate you to stay in Canada".

I don't understand. It's not like I want to be an illegal. I genuinely want to study. I have relatives who are permanent residents who I will be living with and not in a campus. I have shown bank statements and salary certificates from both my parents. I have shown ticket bookings.

My parents Multiple Entry Visa has been rejected too. And they're only coming to drop me off.

Do I need to show more funds? Should I ask my relative in Canada to send me a legal paper saying that he will support me?
visitor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote visitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 4:26pm
RammStern,

Re-apply again but provide as much supporting documentation as possible showing your ties to the country (your relatives can be of help too).

As to the funds, you only need to show that you have sufficient money for the first year of your studies
ecs View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 12:31am
Having a letter from your relatives will be a bad thing to show during Visa. You got to show more ties with your home country and no links with Canada.
Harmonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 1:58pm
Get anything and everything you can to show ties to your home country:
-bank account showing you have money there
-documentation that you own property in your home country
-docs to show you have relatives in your home country
-a job offer from your home country for when you have completed your studies
-any indication of financial obligations in your country of origin
-a return ticket to your home country

Basically they are trying to figure out if you will have more 'ties' to Canada than your home country if and when they let you in.  If you have more ties in Canada, they will wonder if you are really going to return.  If there is nothing (tangible or documented) in your home country to return to - they will assume you might try to stay in Canada when your permit expires. 

The onus is on you to prove your intent to return.  Not easy to do.

If you have a clean criminal record, I suggest that you include a cover letter stating that you have a clean record, have never committed any criminal offence in your life, and that you intend to keep it that way.  You do not wish to jeopardize any future chances of returning to Canada legally, and for that reason you have every intention to return back home on or before the expiry date of your study permit.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.
Citizenship App Sent: December 2012
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:54am
Ditto.

Funds for support was not the issue.

The fact you have ties in Canada, relatives, as in a reason to stay in Canada, means you need to more emphatically prove your intent to leave when your status to study is done.

While not conclusive, ties in Canada tend to loom large in these equations, and thus you need to do a better job illuminating compelling ties in your home country -- what will most likely be an incentive to leave Canada sufficient to overcome the apparent incentive to stay in Canada.

Same is true for visitors as well.

Probably an uphill struggle now.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic