Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Divorce after getting PR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anetti27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Divorce after getting PR
    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 10:27am
Hi, I applied for family sponsorship from inside Canada and I am waiting for the PR for 14 months already. So after 14 months of marriage our relationships start deteriorating and I am thinking often about divorce now.
So my question is: after getting PR how long should I wait to apply for a divorce?
And can my spouse harm my immigration status somehow after I will get a PR?

Thank you!
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 2:20pm
Hi

Originally posted by Anetti27 Anetti27 wrote:

Hi, I applied for family sponsorship from inside Canada and I am waiting for the PR for 14 months already. So after 14 months of marriage our relationships start deteriorating and I am thinking often about divorce now.
So my question is: after getting PR how long should I wait to apply for a divorce?
And can my spouse harm my immigration status somehow after I will get a PR?

Thank you!

1. Yes, s/he can withdraw the sponsorship at any point up to "landing"
2. If you split directly after "landing" s/he can report that the marriage was one of convenience and you only married to get PR status.
PMM
colin View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Immigration Attorney

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 9:50pm
From what we understand, you are the person being sponsored. If your spouse wants to divorce, s/he can request to withdraw the sponsorship application anytime before the PR visa is issued.

If you get divorced after you activate your PR status, your sponsor will still be financially responsible for you for a total of 3 years even if you divorce. However, he can always argue that it was a marriage of convenience.
Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner, immigration.ca
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic