Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

don't understand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: don't understand
    Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 9:38am
Hey everyone.

Can someone tell me please if it is possible to sponsor my family while living in Portugal? I am a canadian citizen, but do I have to be living in Canada or can I do this from here?

Thanks
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 9:48am
As a sponsor you should be living in Canada because the person you sponsor will be your responsibility.
Check:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

catherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 9:59am
Thanks Canvis 2006. So for my daughter I can apply for canadian citizenship from Portugal correct? So what can I do for my husband? Can he apply for a PR while we are in Portugal? We are married. Or what should he do? He is a drywall estimator, installer, taper, sander, etc. with 12 years experience. Would it be easier to apply as a skilled worker or for a provincial nominee?

Thanks for your time.  
UKtoCAN View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKtoCAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 12:11pm
Yes for your daughter , she is a canadain and so you should apply for her straight away

Read on the CIC

it will give you all the options that are there and your best route is PR Out-land start to finish is quiet fast.
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 12:19pm
Your daughter is Canadian, you can send off her application for a citizenship certificate via Canadian embassy in Paris, and also apply for her Canadian passport at the Canadian embassy (probably in Paris) as soon as possible.

Check www.passport.gc.ca

And you can apply to sponsor your husband under sponsorship.....

It is best if you go apply in person for daughter's passport in Paris, and it will enable you to speak to Canadian embassy officials about how to best proceed with the sponsorship and they can also answer your questions there too.

I don't think the Canadian embassy in Lisbon deals with visas, check if it deals with passports....otherwise you have to make a trip to Paris.

catherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 12:45pm
Thank you very much for your response.

In Lisbon they do not deal with immigration processes but they do deal with canadian citizenships so I will being doing that with them here for my daughter. I will send the papers to sponsor my husband to Paris.

Could you tell me if you think that it is possible to go to Canada as visitors while we are waiting for the PR request to come through? Will it be possible that my husband may be called for any interview in Paris? But if when we arrive in Canada can I change my address and list one in Canda? Will that affect anything? Can my family members can extend their stay if we say that we are waiting for PR and citizenship? Or if my husband is given a work contract and applies for a work permit do we need to send in the work permit to be added to the PR application? Also would you by any cance know if my daughter can enroll in school before she has her citizenship if we show that the paper work is under way? As for driving in Canada do you think he should get an internacional driver's license or can he use his portuguese license for a year?

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions but you have been very helpful and I think that if all these questions are answered I will be able to make my decison.

Thanks a million.

ecs View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 5:10pm
Catherine, as for your husband, you should be able to sponsor him while you live in POrtugal as long as you provide them sufficient documentation to prove that you all plan on moving to Canada to live.
ecs View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 5:11pm
And, I personally think applying Family Class might be a better option than Skilled Worker.
thaithanhthuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thaithanhthuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 6:04am
Thanks Canvis 2006. So for my daughter I can apply for canadian citizenship from Portugal correct? So what can I do for my husband? Can he apply for a PR while we are in Portugal? We are married. Or what should he do? He is a drywall estimator, installer, taper, sander, etc. with 12 years experience. Would it be easier to apply as a skilled worker or for a provincial nominee?

Thanks for your time.