Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will "Out-Of-Status" Cause any problems?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanRom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will "Out-Of-Status" Cause any problems?
    Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 1:14pm
Hello All,

I am a Canadian Citizen w/ dual citizenship (EU) and am in Canada sponsoring my Fiance also from Europe (EU) through the In-Canada Spouse Application process.  He arrived as a visitor.
We applied a year ago.

We have recieved the letter from Vegreville in October indicating that we have recieved first stage approval and can apply for work permit.

In November we recieved a letter indicating that processing of the application has been complete and is being transferred to the local office, who will then contact us concerning permament resident status.

We have now recieved the date of the apppointment - It is on Dec 22!

Here is what I am worried about:
1)  I didn't know that we should have extended his visitor status (I thought this was all included in the massive package that I sent in originally), therefore allowing his status to 'expire'.  Will this cause the local office to send the ppwk back for 're-processing'?

2)  I didn't send in for the work permit yet.  Ppwk is ready but was lacking the funds - will they question this at time of interview?

We are so close to the end that I don't want anything to come in the way of finalizing this.... 

Anyone been in this situation?  Or know how these kinds of situations are handled?
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 5:01pm
Normally when you file an inland PR application you include an extension application (or change of conditions to an Open Work Permit) WITH the PR ap and that protects temporary status until first stage approval.  Apparently you didn't do that because you were invited to apply for an OWP after first stage approval, and that OWP would have been his new temporary status document.  Either way, his not having temporary status now shouldn't be an issue.  He has been approved for PR and this interview is just the landing interview to finalize his PR.  Whether he has temporary status now is basically irrelevant - apparently he has been approved for permanent status, so temporary status is a non-issue.

Edited by RobsLuv - 11 Dec 2009 at 5:10pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
SanRom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanRom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 5:12pm
Thanks Robsluv!

This whole process is complicated and nerve-wracking as it is and I really appreciate your reassurance!

Just for the record, when I originally called the CIC 800 number, I specifically asked the agent if there was any thing else I had to fill out, and was told that everything is in that package.  I would have included the extension application/change of conditions to an Open Work Permit WITH the PR application.  Maybe this person was new..... 

Well, again thank you for your response!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic