Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsor wife (divorced before)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponsor wife (divorced before)
    Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:37am
hi,
I am a Canadian citizen working as contractor. I am getting married next month and my fiancée is divorced from previous marriage. she has a kid from previous relationship. my questions are
1. is it ok if I sponsor my fiancée first for PR and once she lands in Canada she can sponsor the kid?
2. since I am a contractor, my early income is 45K. rest of my income goes to my Incorporation company - I am sole owner.
3. what other complications will be there since she was divorced once? anything else to prove that this is not a fake paperwork etc. ?
please let me know. thanks
colin View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Immigration Attorney

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 11:37pm
If you and your fiance have not been living conjugally for 12 months, you must first get married in order to qualify for sponsorship.
You can sponsor both your future wife and her son. The biological father will have to sign a notarized document granting leave to your future wife to bring her child to Canada and stating he may never see the child again. The fact that she is divorced does not impact your sponsorship application. Regarding your financial situation, please note that spousal sponsorships are waved of the proof of funds requirement.
Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner, immigration.ca
cadind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 3:04pm
Thanks Colin.
But I would like to do the sponsorship in 2 steps.
1. get married officially in my home country and then sponsor my wife alone (not her son).
2. once she gets the PR - she lands here (without son) - and then she will initiate a new application for her son (with son's dad signature etc.)\

is it possible? thanks again
colin View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Immigration Attorney

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 3:09am
 It is possible, but not efficient, as it will cost more and take more time. Moreover, your wife will need to show proof of funds to sponsor her son as it will not be a spousal sponsorship, but a child sponsorship. If she does not have sufficient funds, you will have to act as a co-signer. As a permanent resident, she will not be able to leave Canada during the sponsorship, she would therefore be potentially separated from her son for 8 to 12 months.
Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner, immigration.ca
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic