Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR short time first entry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR short time first entry
    Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 9:33pm
I have short time to make arrangements for entering Canada as a permanent resident. My plan is to enter the Canada apply for the PR card and return in 2 weeks so I can make my arrangements for a permanent relocation in 3 months. Can someone suggest if it is ok to do this. I have heard rumours that it is not allowed
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:33pm
Hi

Originally posted by kmr22 kmr22 wrote:

I have short time to make arrangements for entering Canada as a permanent resident. My plan is to enter the Canada apply for the PR card and return in 2 weeks so I can make my arrangements for a permanent relocation in 3 months. Can someone suggest if it is ok to do this. I have heard rumours that it is not allowed

1. You heard wrong, it is perfectly acceptable. Note you need a Canadian address for the PR card, if you don't receive it prior to your return you will have to apply for PR Travel Document to return to Canada.
PMM
kmr22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmr22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 11:30pm
Thank you pmm. That helps
colin View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Immigration Attorney

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:20am
Yes, you can enter Canada to activate your PR status and stay for only a short period of time. However, you will need to provide a Canadian address in order for them to mail the PR card. You can give the address of a friend or a family member and, once received, that person can courier the card to you. You will need your PR card to re-enter Canada once your PR status is activated. If you still haven't received your PR card, you can apply for a PR travel document.
Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner, immigration.ca
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic