Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

civil engineers: what is required to work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eng.cris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: civil engineers: what is required to work?
    Posted: 11 May 2017 at 4:42pm
Hi!

I'm civil enginner and I live in Brazil.

I want to live in Canada.

So I will need to work and preferably as a civil engineer.

What is required to work in Canada as a civil engineer, legally?

Thank you!

Eng. Cris
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:14pm
Hi

Originally posted by eng.cris eng.cris wrote:

Hi!

I'm civil enginner and I live in Brazil.

I want to live in Canada.

So I will need to work and preferably as a civil engineer.

What is required to work in Canada as a civil engineer, legally?

Thank you!

Eng. Cris

1. You would need to qualify to emigrate, probably through Express Entry. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp You need 67 points to be eligible to enter EE, there is a point calculator which tells you if you have sufficient points.
2. If you feel that you have sufficient points, you would need your education assessed under the ECA, and take either an English or French test or both. You need to score at least 6 in each module of the IELTs general to qualify.
3. If you have the sufficient points in EE (about 425) you would be asked to submit an application within 90 days.
4. You would not be able to call yourself an Engineer in Canada, until you meed the qualifications in one of the provinces. Here is the basic outline of what is required: https://www.ice.org.uk/near-you/north-america/canada/working-in-canada
PMM
colin View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Immigration Attorney

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:03pm
In order to work in Canada as an engineer you will need to obtain licensing from the province or territory where you plan to work. There is also a national licensing authority Engineers Canada, previously, Canadian Council of Professional Engineers covering the 12 provincial and territorial associations that regulate the practice of engineering in Canada

Please refer to this link for more information:
https://engineerscanada.ca/frequently-asked-questions
Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner, immigration.ca
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic