Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - URGENT: Can I Renew My Student Visa Outside Canada
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

URGENT: Can I Renew My Student Visa Outside Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAnonymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: URGENT: Can I Renew My Student Visa Outside Canada
    Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:24pm
Hello readers,
I am a student at the University of Manitoba. I applied for my study permit renewal in February and it is due to arrive by no later than 10th April. I then need to apply for the visa and send my passport to Ottawa. However, I'm leaving Canada on the 3rd of May and going back home to India. Is it possible to get my visa stamped at the Canadian Embassy there? If not, then I'll have to cancel my tickets. Please help me out and I will gladly return the favour.
Thank you.
colin View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Immigration Attorney

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:56pm
Your study permit must be valid before being eligible to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) within Canada.

If you plan on leaving Canada, you have these two options to consider:

1- Once you have your new study permit, apply for TRV before leaving for India AND receive it before leaving India.

2- Once you have your new study permit, leave Canada without submitting a TRV application and submit online directly in India, declaring a residence address there. This one is tricky, as there are higher chances of refusal.

You cannot apply for the TRV within Canada and then leave for India, because you will be declaring that your physical residence is in Canada in the application and that will not be true at some point (once you leave for India). They will ask you to send your passport within Canada and you'll be at the other side of the world, with no way to re-enter in Canada from abroad.

To be on the safe side, you should have your documents in order before leaving Canada and this includes a valid TRV.

You can read more about TRV here: http://www.immigration.ca/canada-visit-visa-overview/
Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner, immigration.ca
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic