Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another question.. Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another question.. Help!
    Posted: 13 May 2010 at 4:44pm
My truck needs a fuel pump but Im not paying the person here almost 800 to fix it that's ridiculous.. Anyways the hubby wants to come down and leave me his car and take my truck back with him to fix it.. Is this possible? Or will he have problems getting it over the canadian border. I wouldnt think it would be a problem he is on my insurance  down here and we are married.. I need advice on this quickly.. Thanks again!
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 4:56pm
Border control doesnt care whos car or insurence it is. As long as he can show he only coming over to visit and pick up the truck he should be fine. Though personally I wouldnt even mention the truck only the visit.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 6:30pm
Not exactly. But the technicalities do not seem to be uniformly enforced.

Problem is that a Canadian cannot drive a foreign vehicle in Canada unless the owner of the vehicle is present (as in a passenger). As I said, this does not seem to be much enforced . . . but some border crossings will enforce it. This is about customs and importation. It is not well or widely understood, but even when an American drives an American vehicle into Canada, they are "importing" . . . it is a temporary importation and as such is subject to the rules and regulations governing the temporary importation of vehicles . . . which is almost never mentioned at the time of driving into Canada, but it is there and . . . well, as I said, it is not uniformly enforced, but technically/legally a Canadian cannot drive a U.S. vehilce into Canada without the owner present.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic