Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMM 0008 Generic Question 10 Help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camarsden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IMM 0008 Generic Question 10 Help.
    Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 10:20pm
Dear All

I am new to this forum and even newer to the headaches surrounding the application for PR in Canada.

My Canadian girlfriend and I (I am a Brit by the way) are hoping to get these forms filled out asap and sent so we can sleep easily at night.

So, to my problem. Now forgive me if this is a stupid question/request, but on the IMM 0008 Generic form, question 10 asks whether I was previously married or in a common-law relationship?

Now I know I wasn't married, but some years back (2003-2006) before I met my current partner, I was living with my now ex-girlfriend in an apartment that we rented together, as in our names were on the lease, and then we bought a house. However her name was the sole name on the mortgage. But during this time we had a joint bank account for bills, as well as both our names on the council tax forms.

So my question is would this have qualified me as a common-law partner and do I need to check the 'Yes' box?

Hopefully someone there has gone through this and can offer/suggest advice.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 11:14pm
Hi

Originally posted by camarsden camarsden wrote:

Dear All
I am new to this forum and even newer to the headaches surrounding the application for PR in Canada.
My Canadian girlfriend and I (I am a Brit by the way) are hoping to get these forms filled out asap and sent so we can sleep easily at night.
So, to my problem. Now forgive me if this is a stupid question/request, but on the IMM 0008 Generic form, question 10 asks whether I was previously married or in a common-law relationship?
Now I know I wasn't married, but some years back (2003-2006) before I met my current partner, I was living with my now ex-girlfriend in an apartment that we rented together, as in our names were on the lease, and then we bought a house. However her name was the sole name on the mortgage. But during this time we had a joint bank account for bills, as well as both our names on the council tax forms.
So my question is would this have qualified me as a common-law partner and do I need to check the 'Yes' box?
Hopefully someone there has gone through this and can offer/suggest advice.

The answer is yes that you were in a common/law relationship.

PMM
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic