Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit Visa for U.S. Green Card holder parents.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorontoMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visit Visa for U.S. Green Card holder parents.
    Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 5:39pm
I know that U.S. Green Card holders don't need a visit visa to enter Canada, but I have a little bit of a complicated situation here.

My parents are Green Card holders but they last visited the U.S. in June-Aug  '08. They applied for a re-entry permit, which basically, gives them permission to stay out of the U.S. till the date stipulated on the permit, which in this case is Aug 2010.

They plan to come back in July 2010, but the problem is that they want to come to Canada first and stay with us for a while before entering the U.S. And I just wanted to know if it would pose a problem at Canadian immigration if they see that my parents have a G.C. but have not entered the U.S. for more than a year. I don't know how it works - is Canadian immigration aware of the re-entry permit conditions in the U.S. or would they think that my parents are travelling with an invalid G.C. or  would they require my parents to travel to the U.S. first before entering Canada?

I am pretty confused (as I've made quite clear :)) But I can't seem to find any info on any of the websites so thought my best bet would be to post on the forums.

And another question, if we do decide to apply for a Canadian visit visa for them, since I don't work, do I send the letter of invitation or would my husband have to do that?

Any info would be thoroughly appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic