Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rescheduled oath taking story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpatrickl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rescheduled oath taking story
    Posted: 13 May 2016 at 9:29pm
Hi all,

I posted here some time before about my citizenship story but just a recap... I applied for citizenship in October 2014, and took my test in April 2015. However, for my co-op, I had to leave to go to another country for around a year, and my scheduled date of departure was May 2015. I told CIC this, and they said that they would expedite my application, but it never happened, and I never heard back from them.

I was scheduled for my oath taking in August 2015, while I was abroad on the other side of the world, and was not able to leave for Canada just for my oath taking (for financial and co-op reasons). I called CIC and they told me to send in letters; I had my university send a letter, I sent a letter, and my employer sent a letter. The letter detailed my reasons for not being able to go, and a bargain to reschedule my oath taking to after my scheduled return date. Both my university and my employer were counted as Canadian institutions, and I was recognized as someone working to represent Canada and Canadian institutions so it might have had some weight to it. I didn't hear back from CIC until today May 2016 where I was scheduled for my oath taking on June 1st, 2016.

Just a bit of advice coming from me, I think that if you have to have your oath taking rescheduled, you have to find clear reasons and try to plead for a reasonable date... if that helps. I'm not sure if I'm lucky or if I did it right because I was under the impression back then that my application would be denied.

Anyway, just wanted to share this story... and a slight glimmer of hope for those who were in the same place as me before. Also, when it happens... no news is apparently good news, and they're right.Star
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic