Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canadian citizen to marry a US J1 Visa holder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_j11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canadian citizen to marry a US J1 Visa holder
    Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 3:35pm
I will lay out my plan below and i very much appreciate any feedback or suggestion:

I'm Canadian Citizen
Fiance (from Philippines) - current in US as a J1 Visa with 1yr work contract
>Plan to get married soon (in the US)
>Then apply for Inland (Canada) sponsorship
>How do I get her here in Canada after her 1yr J1 Visa expired?
>>Do I apply for her a TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) visa? or a differnt Visa?
>>What is the chance of her getting denied a TRV VIsa and fly back to Philippines and wait for Inland application to finalize?

>>Is it better if she apply for extention in the US (ie. School) till our application finish?
>>Is it better to apply Outland (Philippines)

>We are looking for a way so she doesn't have to fly back to Philippines and/or her to move to Canada after her 1yr J1 Visa

Edited by chris_j11 - 29 Feb 2016 at 3:46pm
Canadian Citizen
Fiance (Filipina) - J1 Visa (1yr)
Help Us be together the most efficient way
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 8:27pm
HI

Originally posted by chris_j11 chris_j11 wrote:

I will lay out my plan below and i very much appreciate any feedback or suggestion:

I'm Canadian Citizen
Fiance (from Philippines) - current in US as a J1 Visa with 1yr work contract
>Plan to get married soon (in the US)
>Then apply for Inland (Canada) sponsorship
>How do I get her here in Canada after her 1yr J1 Visa expired?
>>Do I apply for her a TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) visa? or a differnt Visa?
>>What is the chance of her getting denied a TRV VIsa and fly back to Philippines and wait for Inland application to finalize?

>>Is it better if she apply for extention in the US (ie. School) till our application finish?
>>Is it better to apply Outland (Philippines)

>We are looking for a way so she doesn't have to fly back to Philippines and/or her to move to Canada after her 1yr J1 Visa

1. Your first obstacle will be getting her a TRV to enter Canada, it is a long shot to get one based on to apply for Immigration in Canada, as a visitor is supposed to only be in Canada for a temporary purpose.
2. If she doesn't get a TRV you can't apply for an In Canada spousal application. You have to apply for an out of Canada spousal.
3, Even if she is admitted to Canada, it will be faster to apply for an out of Canada sponsorship as an In Canada will take 27 months.
PMM
chris_j11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_j11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 12:44pm
Thanks for the responsedSmile
Originally posted by pmm pmm wrote:

HI
1. Your first obstacle will be getting her a TRV to enter Canada, it is a long shot to get one based on to apply for Immigration in Canada, as a visitor is supposed to only be in Canada for a temporary purpose.
2. If she doesn't get a TRV you can't apply for an In Canada spousal application. You have to apply for an out of Canada spousal.
3, Even if she is admitted to Canada, it will be faster to apply for an out of Canada sponsorship as an In Canada will take 27 months.

Yes, my mistake, I mixed up Inland vs OutlandShocked

Can I apply for Outland and either TRV or Permanent Resisdent at the same time
At the same time, what option do we have to extend her stay in the US
(She was registered nurse back in Philippines, we were looking if she could take qualifying exam)
Canadian Citizen
Fiance (Filipina) - J1 Visa (1yr)
Help Us be together the most efficient way
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic