Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canadian Address for PR Card

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duaduaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canadian Address for PR Card
    Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 1:44am
I intend to visit canada for a holiday and to apply for my PR card. From my understanding, the PR card won't be ready in a matter of days, and I would have return home by then. Can I entrust a canadian lawyer to collect the card on my behalf? That is to say I use the lawyer's address for my card to be sent to. Any reliable one to recommend?
tanushree.tiku View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanushree.tiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 2:19am
sorry intend to visit canada and apply for ur PR card? U wudnt need to apply for PR card. When u land, you can mention the new address to the IO but then i dont know, i havent landed yet but if the PR card needs to have an address on it, then they wud put the lawyers address on the PR card too...

When u applied for PR, u wud have mentioned the address...if someone is living at that address someone close u cud just ask that person to send it to u...
duaduaki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duaduaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 2:50am

The thing is that I would like to land before the expiry of my visa, but I am not ready to move and stay in Canada at the moment. And I don't have any Canadian address for the PR card to be sent to. Does that mean to say that I could ask them to sent it outside of Canada?

tanushree.tiku View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanushree.tiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 2:54am
i am not sure whether they wud send it to an address outside canada....otherwise just contact a lawyer and give his address...wont be a problem...so many first time immigrants land and then they leave back to their country, even they do not have addresses......just give ur lawyers address and once ur lawyer has it, he/she can just send it to u...no big deal
blackpearl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackpearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 12:08pm
CIC will not mail PR card outside Canada.
You can have the PR card mailed to your lawyer's address. Contact the lawyer first to make sure that they're willing to do it for you, and that you trust this lawyer. 

If you do not have PR card, you need to apply for a travel document from abroad in order to enter Canada: www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

< ="utf-8">
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 3:42pm
Caution:

See section 20(1) of IRPA, referred to the enforcement operation manual for POE examinations.

It states:

Quote 20. (1) Every foreign national, other than a foreign national referred to in section 19, who seeks to enter or remain in Canada must establish,
(a) to become a permanent resident, that they hold the visa or other document required under the regulations and have come to Canada in order to establish permanent residence;

(emphasis added)

I know of no one who was questioned closely about this (the part I put in bold) upon approaching a POE to land as a PR, and I don't know the format for the CoPR when the PR was granted in a class other than a sponsored person (for sponsored persons, the CoPR specifically requires a Canadian residential address, usually the address of the sponsor, and that is one of the very few questions asked upon landing), so I do not know when or how this issue would arise in the landing interview. But I also know that there is a "non-genuine immigrant" category in the table for issuing an A41 "non-compliance allegation" report, referring to the obligation of a landing immigrant's obligation to "establish intent to establish residency." (see item 12 in the table of ENF 5 found at:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf05-eng.pdf

If you have a lawyer, I'd talk to your lawyer about this. Just to be on the safe side.

I presume you can explain the obvious, and what you plan to do is very commonly done, that is, people land, return to their home country to settle affairs, finish work obligations, and so on, then return to Canada to fully establish their life in Canada. Just that it is best to be fully aware of the vagaries of the process and be able to clearly explain your intentions. Misunderstandings are, perhaps, one of the more common problems people encounter in going through processes like this.   
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic