Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New rules in Canadian Citizenship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NicoCanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rules in Canadian Citizenship
    Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 4:41pm
Hi everyone!

I am intending to apply for citizenship thinking that I had more than enough days to apply but after using the calculator I realized I still need to be another year and half as a PR in order to be eligible. 

This is my case:
- Arrive in Canada in 2009 with a temporary working visa
- Left in 2011 (march) and return in 2011 (December) with a work permit.
- I got my PR in August 2013
- Living here since then with only a handful of short holidays abroad. 

Last time I checked the requirements I remember it said that all the days I lived in Canada before getting my PR were account as HALF DAYS. Have this change recently?. It seems none of those 3 previous years (2009 to 2013) will count... REALLY...?

Please help! I haven't being able to confirm this.

Many thanks!

Nico

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 12:54pm
Hi

Originally posted by NicoCanada NicoCanada wrote:

Hi everyone!

I am intending to apply for citizenship thinking that I had more than enough days to apply but after using the calculator I realized I still need to be another year and half as a PR in order to be eligible. 

This is my case:
- Arrive in Canada in 2009 with a temporary working visa
- Left in 2011 (march) and return in 2011 (December) with a work permit.
- I got my PR in August 2013
- Living here since then with only a handful of short holidays abroad. 

Last time I checked the requirements I remember it said that all the days I lived in Canada before getting my PR were account as HALF DAYS. Have this change recently?. It seems none of those 3 previous years (2009 to 2013) will count... REALLY...?

Please help! I haven't being able to confirm this.

Many thanks!

Nico

1. Yes, the citizenship Act changed in June/2015. You require 4 years of residency in the 6 years prior to applying, you must have resided for 6 months in Canada in each of those years, time prior to becoming a PR doesn't count anymore.
2. So you won't be eligible until August/2017 to apply plus whatever days you were absent in that period.
PMM
attamkhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote attamkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 12:19pm
There are some recently proposed changes which may be positive in everybody case. Please read through:
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/liberals-introduce-changes-to-citizenship-act/ar-BBpYxDC?li=AAggv0m&ocid=spartanntp
Regards/ Atta M. Khan
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 3:44pm
Hi

Originally posted by attamkhan attamkhan wrote:

There are some recently proposed changes which may be positive in everybody case. Please read through:
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/liberals-introduce-changes-to-citizenship-act/ar-BBpYxDC?li=AAggv0m&ocid=spartanntp
Regards/ Atta M. Khan

Here are the official proposals: http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1036049
PMM
attamkhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote attamkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 2:07pm
Any update or new info on the subject regarding amendments to June 2015 rules as proposed by Liberal Gov. Has the proposed changes to immigration act (3 years residency requirement instead of 4) has moved through / passed by the Parliament? 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 2:20pm
Second Reading completed and referred to Committee in the House of Commons as of March 21, 2016.

Many speculate it will go to Senate and Third Reading before the summer break, but there is no assurance of that, no assurance it will pass smoothly through the Senate (still a Conservative majority in the Senate), so no guarantees at all about when the legislation will be adopted and become law.

Beyond that, the 3/5 rule will not be implemented (not come into force) right away even once the Bill becomes law, but will be scheduled to take effect some time later. Thus, whether that happens sometime this year or next year is largely a guess, and otherwise unknown.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
attamkhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote attamkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 12:01pm
attamkhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote attamkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 6:57pm
Bill C-6 amending the Immigration Act have passed the Parliament and is, now before the Senate. Please read more as under:

Canada Immigration News - Bill to Change Canadian Citizenship Act Passes House of Commons, With Senate Approval Pending
http://www.cicnews.com/2016/07/bill-change-canadian-citizenship-act-passes-house-commons-senate-approval-pending-078363.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic