Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Canadian Citizen Travel to USA (New Legislation)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canadian Citizen Travel to USA (New Legislation)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canadian Citizen Travel to USA (New Legislation)
    Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 10:04pm
The US congress passed a new piece of legislation regarding travel restrictions for the citizens of the counties categorized as visa waiver countries. I would like to know how this might affect Canadian citizen traveling to USA. 
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 7:06am
Canada is not a visa waiver country.
sarin_j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarin_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 12:34am
Canadians can travel to US if they have a valid Canadian passport. The new legislation targets citizens of those countries that have a visa waiver program, who might have traveled to certain countries within a certain period immediately prior to their travel dates, to obtain a visa for travelling into US.
nureya View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nureya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 7:24pm
Guys,

I have a quick question. I have a tourist visa for 10 years to US in my country passport...now i become a canadian citizen and got a canadian passport... Can i use my tourist visa to go to US (or) should i use canadian passport... What will happen if i take one passport and not take the other...confused..

Nureya
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:00am
You can use either.
nureya View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nureya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 4:15pm
SKI,

Thanks for all your support bro. Since am a canadian, will they automatically cancel my US tourist visa (or) i should choose? what are the advantages and disadvantages of using a visa or a canadian passport?

Nureya

ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 1:52am
No, they will not cancel your tourist visa.

Generally, a tourist visa holder is likely to face more questions during CBP interview than a Canadian, but other than that it should not matter much.

In general, a dual national can use a passport of their choice when entering a third country, with the understanding that they will be treated at the border according to the passport (and visa if applicable) they choose to use.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic