Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR application secondary review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mero1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR application secondary review
    Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:55am

My friend landed in 2008, he could not stay the whole time and actually returned in 2012 to live in canada. His PR expired in 2013 so he waited until 2014 and applied for renewal for PR card. it has been a year since he applied. 4 months ago (in march 2015) he received the following letter: "processing delay" and it also stated that "preliminary review has been completed for my application and they have now referred my file for a secondary review and this will cause additional delay in processing time." They did not ask for any additional information. 

do you have any idea what does that mean?  since that time he didnt hear from them anything at all. Of course, from 2012 until 2014 he lived every single day in Canada. Do you have any thoughts? I really appreciate your help.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 2:01pm
Should be OK as long as your friend can submit supporting documentation showing place of abode and activity (work, school, or such) in Canada, and so long as your friend is physically in Canada and can go to an interview (if CIC requires) and/or to pick up the PR card (if CIC requires).

PRs with long absences can anticipate secondary review when they attempt to renew the PR card. This does NOT necessarily mean there will be a full blown Residency Determination, but it might and thus it is possible that CIC will require the submission of a response to a RQ like form (I forget its formal title, but it is akin to the citizenship Residency Questionnaire (RQ) form).
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
mero1984 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mero1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:28pm
Thanks dpenabill. great answer and reply as usual. 
Toronto Downtown- Sent - Nov 25, 2011 |aknldgmt ltr - Dec 19, 2011 |proc Jul-12-12| transferred local office 17-Aug-2012|test notice 11-Apr-13|Test 6-May-13| oath notice 29-May-13|Oath 12-Jun-13
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic