Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR Renewal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiinmaay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR Renewal
    Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:31pm
Hi Sir,

I have Permanent Resident of Canada  but my PR card is about to expire and i am short of 2 months to complete the obligations of minimum stay that is 730 days in 5 years. My PR card is expiring on 8th of June.
  I landed as dependent PR as my parents applied for PR under skilled worker but they didn't liked Canada so returned back home and forcibly took me with them. But i then decided to come back Canada so i did without any financial help but that took little long. 
  What would you suggest me whether i should apply for PR card just before its expiration or let the period of 730 days finish and then apply?
 What are the chances of rejection and what would be possible solution for this.

Could you please help me further in this regards

Thanks.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:12am
Originally posted by chiinmaay chiinmaay wrote:

Hi Sir,

I have Permanent Resident of Canada  but my PR card is about to expire and i am short of 2 months to complete the obligations of minimum stay that is 730 days in 5 years. My PR card is expiring on 8th of June.
  I landed as dependent PR as my parents applied for PR under skilled worker but they didn't liked Canada so returned back home and forcibly took me with them. But i then decided to come back Canada so i did without any financial help but that took little long. 
  What would you suggest me whether i should apply for PR card just before its expiration or let the period of 730 days finish and then apply?
 What are the chances of rejection and what would be possible solution for this.
Could you please help me further in this regards
Thanks.

If you are in Canada, stay, wait until you meet the PR Residency Obligation and after that apply for a new PR card. That is the better solution.

A PR in Canada does not need to have a valid PR card in possession.

While applying before you are in compliance with the PR RO only a few weeks short of meeting the PR RO may eventually result in the issuance and delivery of the new/replacement PR card, it is more likely to be denied (you can then re-apply after meeting the PR RO) or to go into secondary review with the result that it takes a lot longer to process.

Best practice would be to wait, apply with some margin over the minimum.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic