Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retaining PR Status...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jigjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retaining PR Status...
    Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 3:03am
I have been granted immigrant visa of Canada and entered Canada to become PR in Feb-2011. I stayed in Canada till December 2011. Then moved back to my home country three years due to family issues. Now its almost and I am planning to move back to Canada.

I have heard about the residency obligation... As per the current situation, I will be able to show that I can meet the 730 days physical presence in Feb 2016 (during last 5 years). It comes around 734 days of physical presence in FEb 2016...and  My PR card is expiring in 30th March 2016...so it would be roughtly >760 days on end of march 2016.

Will I have any issues in entering Canada again?? When I should apply for renewal of PR card...

Pls help.. Thanks in advance for all answers..Smile!!
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 4:12am
You are likely to face additional scrutiny at the port of entry and you must make sure you reenter before 3 full years since you left have passed. Other than that and provided you stay in Canada after entry to satisfy the residence obligation you should be okay.

It is best not to think about renewing PR card until 2016 because current procedures are unlikely to apply then. In any event, PR card does not establish your status, it is simply a form of entry visa whose validity is subject to your compliance with residence obligation at the time of every entry

So your goal is to maintain the status, not to renew the card.
jigjames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jigjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 12:31pm
Thanks Ski  for the guidance.. I had left canada on 5th Dec 2011 and will be reaching back on 3rd dec.. so i think that will be ok..

I   wanted to know what kind of scrutiny you are talking about at POE??
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 8:54pm
You will put the date you left Canada in the entry form.

Which will be a long time ago.

So the CBSA officer will ask you about your whereabouts since you left Canada, if your family is still here and if you intend to finally settle and live in Canada now.  Maybe they will count the days of your travel.

Something along those lines.

If you are referred to secondary, they will ask additional questions, I guess they are just instructed so.

So "scrutiny" is simply additional questions. Try not to take it personal; stay friendly and open. They are just doing their job.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic