Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Please help preparing for entry + app in process
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please help preparing for entry + app in process

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote life900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help preparing for entry + app in process
    Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 12:49am
Hi,
I am a PhD student at a Canadian University. I also have my wife and kids living with me in Canada. I have applied for renewing my PR card in Sept and still in process. I had to leave Canada for an urgent family matter for a period of one week and will be retuning to Canada 5 days before the expiration date of my PR Card.
I will appreciate your feedback on the following questions:
1- will I expect any problem, investigation, or interview upon my entry?.
2- I have been told that, by default, I will be reported and asked to attend further investigation/ appeal later, Is it true?
3- Please advise on what documents should I prepare at hand to support me and to minimize reporting risk.(I have my university student card with me and can print registration letter from University website)
4- According to ecas online status my PR application has been approved on 10 November. How long it usually take to receive the card by mail or a letter to pick it up after the approval?

I will extremely appreciate your advice.

Edited by life900 - 02 Dec 2013 at 12:55am
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 1:57am
HI

Originally posted by life900 life900 wrote:

Hi,
I am a PhD student at a Canadian University. I also have my wife and kids living with me in Canada. I have applied for renewing my PR card in Sept and still in process. I had to leave Canada for an urgent family matter for a period of one week and will be retuning to Canada 5 days before the expiration date of my PR Card.
I will appreciate your feedback on the following questions:
1- will I expect any problem, investigation, or interview upon my entry?.
2- I have been told that, by default, I will be reported and asked to attend further investigation/ appeal later, Is it true?
3- Please advise on what documents should I prepare at hand to support me and to minimize reporting risk.(I have my university student card with me and can print registration letter from University website)
4- According to ecas online status my PR application has been approved on 10 November. How long it usually take to receive the card by mail or a letter to pick it up after the approval?

I will extremely appreciate your advice.

1. Probably not, if you are meeting your residency obligations of 2 years residency in the past 5 years.
2. Whoever told you that, is full of it. You have a valid PR card and assuming you meet the residency requirements, you shouldn't have a problem.
3. Your passport is the evidence that you have been residing in Canada. The stamps should show your entry/exits to other countries.
4. 90% are mailed, so you should have it shortly.
PMM
life900 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote life900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 6:41am
Thank you very much for the prompt and encouraging response. I just need to prepare my evidences that I meet the residency obligations (almost 2 years and 10 months in Canada including few short trips to home country). I am not sure how the officer can assess my residency period specially that the stamps on my passports are not in English.

1- Do you advise me to prepare a certified translation of my passport stamps? or at least the last entry stamp to my home country to prove the date I left Canada?

2- Do I prepare a list of my exit/entry to Canada to provide when needed?

3- Would you suggest any particular documents to prove my ties to Canada other than my university card and registration?

I will extremely appreciate your kind advice to pass this expected interview safely .

Thank you very much.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 1:52pm
Hi

Originally posted by life900 life900 wrote:

Thank you very much for the prompt and encouraging response. I just need to prepare my evidences that I meet the residency obligations (almost 2 years and 10 months in Canada including few short trips to home country). I am not sure how the officer can assess my residency period specially that the stamps on my passports are not in English.

1- Do you advise me to prepare a certified translation of my passport stamps? or at least the last entry stamp to my home country to prove the date I left Canada?

2- Do I prepare a list of my exit/entry to Canada to provide when needed?

3- Would you suggest any particular documents to prove my ties to Canada other than my university card and registration?

I will extremely appreciate your kind advice to pass this expected interview safely .

Thank you very much.

1. Don't bother at this time, it is not required.
2. Driver's license medical card.
3. I doubt that you will even be questioned unless your passport is chock full of stamps.
PMM
sammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 2:06pm
Their main concern is when did you leave Canada last time. If you have a boarding pass from your previous travel, that would help. Or at least a printout of air ticket.

Sammy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic