Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ****Residency obligation can't be met... Help*****
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

****Residency obligation can't be met... Help*****

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaroddz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ****Residency obligation can't be met... Help*****
    Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 10:17pm
Hi guys,

I'm seeking your advice about the situation of my brother he's a doctor and permanent resident of canada since December 2011, he stayed for a month  back than and had to go back to finish his 3 years of doctorate option to become pediatrician, now he has one more year to go, march 2015 he's planning to come to canada and stay for good, by then he'll not meet the residency obligation of 2 yrs (3 or 4 months short, 23 months in total), he can't make to here sooner as he have to pass the last exam.

What should he do? all member please share your thoughts..
jaroddz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaroddz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 9:25am
Hi guys,

Anyone can share his experience.

Thanks,
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 1:34pm
Contact a lawyer and discuss options with the lawyer.

If there was a way to spend a few weeks at a time in Canada, during breaks or holidays, that could make up the gap or at least evidence commitment to Canada that may make the difference in making a H&C case. In the past, CBSA has been relatively lenient at the POE when a PR with a currently valid PR card is returning to Canada and the PR has had periodic entries into Canada and there is still a substantial amount of time left before the PR reaches the fifth year anniversary of landing. I am not at all sure that CBSA continues to be liberal or lenient in this regard, so it is best to discuss this with a lawyer. And of course there is always a risk involved when one falls short of meeting the prescribed obligation.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
mero1984 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mero1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 5:29pm
if he is able to come to canada even 1 month before his PR expires, and CBSA does not stop him at the border, then he can stay for uninterrupted 2 years from that date, and renew his PR after 2 yrs. as simple as that. I am certain because i once consulted a lawyer for that; i am saving you the money of a lawyer. 
Best wishes. 
Toronto Downtown- Sent - Nov 25, 2011 |aknldgmt ltr - Dec 19, 2011 |proc Jul-12-12| transferred local office 17-Aug-2012|test notice 11-Apr-13|Test 6-May-13| oath notice 29-May-13|Oath 12-Jun-13
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic