Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Work Permit for Spouse of International Student
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Work Permit for Spouse of International Student

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crm18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Work Permit for Spouse of International Student
    Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 3:45pm
I'm somewhat confused by the information published on the website of Citizenship & Immigration Canada, so I wanted to ask some questions about obtaining a Work Permit for a spouse of an international student.

I have been admitted to a two-year master's degree program at a qualifying Canadian university in Ontario. My husband and I (both U.S. citizens) will be moving to Canada together this summer before I begin my formal studies in September. While I am a student, my husband would like to hold a paying job.

I have applied for a Study Permit and have indicated on my application that my spouse will accompany me to Canada. According to our research, we understand that in order to obtain a work permit for a job, he most-likely will NOT need a "positive labour market opinion" from the Canadian government (HRSDC - Human Resources & Skills Development Canada) because he is the spouse of an international student with valid study permit. However, we are unsure as to how and when he can apply for a work permit.

1) Can he get an open Work Permit before obtaining an offer of employment? He does not yet have arranged employment and intends to look for a job after we arrive. Is this possible? Or is he required to have a formal job offer in order to get a permit?

2) Can he obtain an open work permit as we enter Canada? Or must we wait until after our arrival?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by crm18 crm18 wrote:

I'm somewhat confused by the information published on the website of Citizenship & Immigration Canada, so I wanted to ask some questions about obtaining a Work Permit for a spouse of an international student. I have been admitted to a two-year master's degree program at a qualifying Canadian university in Ontario. My husband and I (both U.S. citizens) will be moving to Canada together this summer before I begin my formal studies in September. While I am a student, my husband would like to hold a paying job. I have applied for a Study Permit and have indicated on my application that my spouse will accompany me to Canada. According to our research, we understand that in order to obtain a work permit for a job, he most-likely will NOT need a "positive labour market opinion" from the Canadian government (HRSDC - Human Resources & Skills Development Canada) because he is the spouse of an international student with valid study permit. However, we are unsure as to how and when he can apply for a work permit. 1) Can he get an open Work Permit before obtaining an offer of employment? He does not yet have arranged employment and intends to look for a job after we arrive. Is this possible? Or is he required to have a formal job offer in order to get a permit? 2) Can he obtain an open work permit as we enter Canada? Or must we wait until after our arrival? Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Yes. When you get your Student Permit at POE, I think he can also obtain his OWP at the same time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic