Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Change of Employer before LMO Work Permit expires
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Change of Employer before LMO Work Permit expires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocotruffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change of Employer before LMO Work Permit expires
    Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 1:04am
Hi All,
I work in IT, have 9 yrs of rich exp and in Canada for last 6 months.
I have my LMO WP expiring in Oct 2013 first week. My employer doesn't seem keen to file for my LMO extension as it fears that my extn might get rejected due to the ongoing changes in the immigration laws in the interest of Canadians, because of the RBC-igate scandal.

My questions is, if my current employer doesn't file my extension, then can I find another employer who can file for a fresh LMO WP and resign from my current job? Can my new employer start the LMO filing process for me while I am still in the current job or the new employer can only file for my LMO once I totally quit the job?

Also, my visa expires in Nov 2013, so could it be a deterrent in my LMO WP extension?

Thanks.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 2:15pm
Hi

Originally posted by chocotruffle chocotruffle wrote:

Hi All,
I work in IT, have 9 yrs of rich exp and in Canada for last 6 months.
I have my LMO WP expiring in Oct 2013 first week. My employer doesn't seem keen to file for my LMO extension as it fears that my extn might get rejected due to the ongoing changes in the immigration laws in the interest of Canadians, because of the RBC-igate scandal.

My questions is, if my current employer doesn't file my extension, then can I find another employer who can file for a fresh LMO WP and resign from my current job? Can my new employer start the LMO filing process for me while I am still in the current job or the new employer can only file for my LMO once I totally quit the job?

Also, my visa expires in Nov 2013, so could it be a deterrent in my LMO WP extension?

Thanks.

1. Yes, you can find a new employer.
2. Yes, the new employer can start the process, but you can't work for the new employer until you have an approved LMO and a new work permit.
3. Assuming you mean TRV expires in NOv/13, it is not a factor in the LMO or work permit extension.
PMM
chocotruffle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocotruffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 12:29am
Thanks a lot. So if I can start my LMO WP filing process for a new employer, in parallel with my existing job with my current employer, then at what point will I have to quit from the current job?

Many Thanks.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 3:49pm
Hi

Thanks a lot. So if I can start my LMO WP filing process for a new employer, in parallel with my existing job with my current employer, then at what point will I have to quit from the current job?

Many Thanks.

When you get your new work permit for the new employer.
PMM
chocotruffle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocotruffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 12:41am
Oh for example if my WP expires on Oct 5, 2013. And my new employer starts the process from July 2013 and I submit all my documents and file the petition for LMO. So obviously the Immigration dept will see that I already have a WP and I am already working for my first employer, wont there be any kind of conflict/hurdle in issuing a new WP when I already have an LMO WP which is not yet expired?

So, lets say if I get my new LMO WP on 30th Sep, until then I can work for my old employer??
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 1:53am
Hi

Oh for example if my WP expires on Oct 5, 2013. And my new employer starts the process from July 2013 and I submit all my documents and file the petition for LMO. So obviously the Immigration dept will see that I already have a WP and I am already working for my first employer, wont there be any kind of conflict/hurdle in issuing a new WP when I already have an LMO WP which is not yet expired?

So, lets say if I get my new LMO WP on 30th Sep, until then I can work for my old employer??

1. Your employer submits the request for LMO after advertising the position for 2 weeks on the job bank, and has to demonstrate to HRSDC why no PRs/Citizens qualified. It then, if approved, takes anywhere from 6-16 weeks for an approved LMO.
2. Then you have to apply for a new work permit, about 30 days on line.
3. There is no conflict, your new work permit makes your previous work permit invalid.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic