Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Residence Status Question on Inland PR Application
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Residence Status Question on Inland PR Application

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Residence Status Question on Inland PR Application
    Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 6:10pm
Hi,

I'm hoping some of you pros can share some knowledge!

I'm Canadian born and raised. My husband was born in Dominican Republic, but went to Costa Rica with his father (who is Costa Rican) at a few months of age. He has Costa Rican Citizenship and passport. He grew up half in NY, and half in Costa Rica.

We lived together in the Dominican Republic twice while I was teaching English. It does say on his birth certificate and his passport that he was born in the DR. But he has no actual Dominican ID.

There are questions on the Permanent Residency from Within Canada that ask what his status was during the time we were there.

Would that be considered Visitor? Or is he automatically a Citizen since he was born there? He has no legal papers that would identify him as a Citizen of the DR though.

Thanks in advance for your help!! :)
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 6:40pm
Hi

Originally posted by ACS ACS wrote:

Hi,

I'm hoping some of you pros can share some knowledge!

I'm Canadian born and raised. My husband was born in Dominican Republic, but went to Costa Rica with his father (who is Costa Rican) at a few months of age. He has Costa Rican Citizenship and passport. He grew up half in NY, and half in Costa Rica.

We lived together in the Dominican Republic twice while I was teaching English. It does say on his birth certificate and his passport that he was born in the DR. But he has no actual Dominican ID.

There are questions on the Permanent Residency from Within Canada that ask what his status was during the time we were there.

Would that be considered Visitor? Or is he automatically a Citizen since he was born there? He has no legal papers that would identify him as a Citizen of the DR though.

Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

His birth certificate shows he was born in the DR, which makes him a citizen of the DR at birth. His Cost Rica citizenship was obtained later or at the same time.
PMM
ACS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 6:56pm
Thank you for your assistance! :)

Does this mean that I can legally put him as a citizen for the time we were in the DR?? Even though he has no Dominican ID or Passport?

On another note - wouldn't this be an issue when he is eventually applying for Canadian Citizenship?? (as you can normally only hold dual citizenship...)
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 1:11pm
Hi

Originally posted by ACS ACS wrote:

Thank you for your assistance! :)

Does this mean that I can legally put him as a citizen for the time we were in the DR?? Even though he has no Dominican ID or Passport?

On another note - wouldn't this be an issue when he is eventually applying for Canadian Citizenship?? (as you can normally only hold dual citizenship...)

1. Yes
2. Canada doesn't care, you can hold as many citizenship's as you want.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic