Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Married to a Canadian and mother to a Canadian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mysmasken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Married to a Canadian and mother to a Canadian
    Posted: 18 May 2013 at 9:48pm
Hi all! I got my permanent residence status on January 17th, 2008. We left Canada for the US on January 1st, 2012 and I never got my citizenship Cry

We are still in the US but are considering coming back to Canada in a couple of years.

What is my best bet? Will I lose my permanent residency? Can or will I have to re-apply with my husband sponsoring me again? If by the time I come back, I can't get those 670 or whatever days within the last 5 years, what happens? Will I not get social benefits? How do I re-activate my permanent residency?

One of my children were born in Canada and is a citizen. One is born in the US, but I'm in the process of getting him his citizenship. We have one due in October, who will be born in the US as well, but I can apply for him to get his citizenship.

Thanks!
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 1:35pm
Hi

Originally posted by Mysmasken Mysmasken wrote:

Hi all! I got my permanent residence status on January 17th, 2008. We left Canada for the US on January 1st, 2012 and I never got my citizenship CryWe are still in the US but are considering coming back to Canada in a couple of years. What is my best bet? Will I lose my permanent residency? Can or will I have to re-apply with my husband sponsoring me again? If by the time I come back, I can't get those 670 or whatever days within the last 5 years, what happens? Will I not get social benefits? How do I re-activate my permanent residency?One of my children were born in Canada and is a citizen. One is born in the US, but I'm in the process of getting him his citizenship. We have one due in October, who will be born in the US as well, but I can apply for him to get his citizenship.Thanks!

1. If you are accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad, you retain your PR status.
PMM
Mysmasken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mysmasken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 9:49pm
Thank you! So if we come back, say 2014 and I have only spent 1 year out of the last 5 in Canada... Will I still have the right to medical care and such? 
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 10:57pm
Hi

Originally posted by Mysmasken Mysmasken wrote:

Thank you! So if we come back, say 2014 and I have only spent 1 year out of the last 5 in Canada... Will I still have the right to medical care and such? 

1. No, none of you will, there will be a 3 month wait in most provinces, as you will have been outside Canada for more than 6 months.
PMM
Andrew2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 2:31pm
If she retains her PR because she is accompanying a Citizen of Canada, why she would qualify for medical services???
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 6:57pm
Hi

Originally posted by Andrew2012 Andrew2012 wrote:

If she retains her PR because she is accompanying a Citizen of Canada, why she would qualify for medical services???

Read my post, neither her nor her family will qualify for the Provincial Medical Plan until they have been back in Canada for 3 months.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic