Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Withdraw Spouse Sponsorship...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote try_this Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Withdraw Spouse Sponsorship...
    Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 9:51pm

I am sponsoring my Husband and our file is still under process after 19 months with "No expected timelines when it is going to be finalized" I am considering to withdraw my application as it has got over complicated only because the visa office (Abu Dhabi) has doubts if the sponsor (me) lives in Canada or not...

Of course I am living in Canada and have all the proofs and even Abu Dhabi NOW knows it well....

The problem is the IO working on my husband's file made a mistake and forwarded our file to CIC-Etobicoke to Review/re-assess my Eligibility to sponsor when they called my Husband's office in May 2009 and the admin person gave wrong info that the applicant's Wife lives with him in Qatar (which wasn't True) but as Our time wasn't good and going against all the privacy/rights manuals by CIC   the IO didn't even ask us for further clarification but forward our file to CIC Etobicoke in June 2009. and after forwarding our file to CIC, Abu Dhabi requested additional proofs from us like My Full Passport Copy, Travel History from Qatari Govt, Original Employment Letter etc.... We sent them all those proofs in July 2009.

But CIC Etobicoke on the other hand never reviewed our file till date. . Its in Queue according to their reply to my MP , and they don't know when they are going to see our file.. Abu Dhabi says that they cannot finalize anything until they hear from CIC-Etobicoke. we are Totally Stuck...

Now i am considering withdrawing and I need to know...

How long it take for them to withdraw it officially? Returning all my documents??

Is there any time restriction before you can reapply?

Can you choose different visa office when you reapply?

Do they keep any record? Does Withdraw affect our future application (which i am going to do immediately)?

Do I have to let them know next time I Apply to sponsor again? I don't see any such question in the forms regarding withdraw, there are only questions about previous undertakings (if any)?

Please help me ...I need all the information...

redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 10:14pm
There is no time restriction on how long before you can re-apply. However I would be somewhat sceptical about withdrawing the spplication after 19 months.

Interviews are required to clarify any issues that arrise, if you can show your issues are correct, such as the fact you are and were in Canada, then if these questions arrise they will be resolved.

Perhaps help from a MP is an option after such a long period, but think about it. Do you want to be back here in another 19 months, over $1000 out of pocket as you will lose the application fee and have to pay again to re-apply. Your options are wider than just pulling the application as frustrating as it may be.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 12:39am
Of course they keep records of applications and their process. And those records will quite likely be accessed in the processing of any future applications involving the same persons.

I don't know that a withdrawal has any linked effect on a future application, but of course all the circumstances attendant the sponsor and sponsored applicant are relevant, and they may very well have questions about the withdrawal -- which is likely enough I would think it better to include a brief but full explanation for it in any future application (on a supplemental page), since it is almost always better to answer questions before they arise in the examiner's mind stirring speculative answers which, perhaps, might not be favorable.

I am not certain you will receive return of all your documents. You probably want to check with CIC about that.

I don't think you can control which visa office processes the application overseas. Even applicants who are residents of a country other than their nationality, and were admitted to such country for at least a year, can only ask to be processed in the visa office for the country in which they are residing (as opposed to the one for their home country) but that is no guarantee they will be processed there.

Overall, I doubt that withdrawing the application is the better route to take if your intent is to still pursue sponsoring the applicant unless you are aware of a flaw in the application that will likely result in a refusal and that flaw can be fixed in a new application.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
try_this View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote try_this Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 9:23am
Thanks Dpenabill & Redeagle for suggestions...

There is no flaw in our application,The only issue that I too was resident of Qatar under my father's sponsorship when I landed here in 2007 and immediately went back after getting my PR card. And then I came back in the end of feb 2008 after my marriage and I am here since then only going out for vacations to visit my husband for couple of days or weeks(not more than 3 weeks at a time).
I have no idea what the person was thinking at the time he forwarded our file to CIC-Etobicoke, they could have waited till they ask & recieve additional proofs from us, not asking the documents after forwarding our file!!!!!. Now they have only one answer " They cannot do anything, until they hear from CIC-Etobicoke"
This whole thing is driving me crazy. I was considering withdraw just to make things moving upon reapply, but NOW that doesn't seems as a option either. As yesterday I called CIC call center and they told me it takes upto 16 weeks!!! to withdraw officialy and i can't reapply until I recieve withdrawl letter from MIS. and they are going to keep my records, They don't know if the visa office will keep the records or not......

so I am DEAD STUCK HERE!!!! Dead
boundary47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 10:18pm
This is just an idea, and I don't have a clue whether it would work for you.

Could you take your passport to a notary public in Canada, along with a document you can put together that briefly lists your entries and exits from Canada, verified by your passport stamps?  I would use a very simple document containing 4 columns: arrived Canada date, left Canada date, status while while in Canada, total time this visit in Canada.  (I used a similar document in my application, but didn't have it notarized because notarization isn't necessary according to the China region guide.)

Have the notary photocopy all the pages of your passport and notarize each one as being an accurate copy of the true document, and have them notarize your record of "ins and outs" as being verified by the stamps in your passport.  

Maybe you could send copies to your MP, CIC Etobicoke, and Abu Dhabi and ask that they confer with each other to resolve this impasse?
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed
ForeverAndADay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForeverAndADay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 1:38am
Hey B47,

I see you have had a decision made?

Hope everything worked out for you.

March 31/2010 - Application Sent
April 6/2010- Application Received by Immigration CPC
boundary47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boundary47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 10:33pm
Thanks, FAAD (formerly BIC, right?) We're still waiting to find out what the decision is, but we know our application was very thorough and Beijing didn't ask for an interview, so we think it's a near certain "yes". We expect to find out soon.  I'm sure the letter to my wife will be delayed several days longer than normal because of the holiday in China May 1 to 4.  
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic