Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! Need advice. Sponsor an overstay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cduquett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Need advice. Sponsor an overstay
    Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 11:08pm
Hello Everyone,

I am posting on this site because I have gotten a little desperate in my quest for information Wacko .  My husband has overstayed his temporary work permit and now we are trying to figure out what is the best option for us.  He is currently with me in Canada right now but obviously out of status. 

We met 4 years and 3 months ago when he was still legal on his temporary foreign work permit (in the summer of 2008), of which he'd already had one before that as well.  At the end of that second work permit (summer 2009) he was almost going to have enough time accumulated in Canada to apply for permanent residency on his own however his work permit was going to expire just before so his boss told him to apply for another work permit.  My husband (though he was my boyfriend at the time) did apply for another work permit but the application came back refused due to a lack of information and an LMO on his employer's part.  So my husband asked his boss about it and his boss said that he'd in fact just applied to renew his LMO so to wait a week or 2 and then send in another application.  My husband did this and the application came back refused again for the same reason.  Soon after that his work permit expired and his boss told him that he hadn't actually reapplied for a new LMO and so sorry and a whole bunch of stuff like that.  So at the time we didn't know that you could actually apply for a restoration of status within 90 days so we kind of just let it be.  My husband had planned on going back to Mexico and then trying to come back again with another employer but things ended up happening in our lives at the time with my daughter's father (my ex) and he didn't feel like I would be safe if he left me alone here to deal with all of the problems.  There was also the fact that we had just had a baby of our own that summer, which added to the stress that I would have had to face alone at the time Dead

Fast forward 3 years to now and he has been an overstay and has managed to stay under the radar.  We've been married for a year now, we have our daughter, he has adopted my daughter as his own and I may be pregnant again actually.  Because of this we are getting to the point where we realize we really need to do something about his status.  He's also getting frustrated because he has an engineering degree from his country but he can't work to support us.  We just don't know what option is best for us.  Much like before he doesn't want to leave us here and go back to Mexico but at the time he doesn't want us to go there either because he is from a very dangerous part of the country.  We are wondering if it would be better for us to apply inland or outland.  We don't know which one is faster or which one will cause more problems for us.  We're afraid that if we apply inland that they will find him, he will get deported and we'll have to start all over again outland.  But if we apply outland he's afraid of spending that much time away, and if it turns out that I'm pregnant then he doesn't want to miss the birth of the baby Cry .  I also don't want to go to Mexico because our daughters have certain medical needs and it's best if we stay where we've known their doctors for years.  We've also wondered about the possibility of him leaving and then applying to come back as a visitor and then I can apply to sponsor him while he's here as a visitor.  But in that case we don't know if he ask to seek some sort of pardon for overstaying (though he's never been given a deportation order).  Another scenario we were thinking of is him trying to find another employer, maybe through a skilled position, given that he is an engineer.  But we don't know how slow that is or if, again, he would have to apply for a pardon of some kind.

We are totally lost and stressed out and haven't met anyone else with a case like this Confused Cry .  We also can't afford a lawyer so we've been trying to gather info were we can.  I've tried calling CIC but they haven't been much help beyond telling us what sort of programs are available.

If anyone has been through something like this before or has any advice they can offer it would be greatly appreciated Big smile .  Also if someone wants to send me a private message with more specific advice that would be appreciated as well.

Courtney
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 12:37am
You are a perfect candidate for an inland application.

Your husband does not need to have status to be sponsored via the inland process:

Spouses and common‑law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Canada who wish to apply for permanent resident status are no longer required to have legal immigration status provided that they have an eligible sponsor. All other eligibility requirements continue to apply.

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp

CIC Manual IP 8 says:

CIC is committed to family reunification and facilitating processing in cases of genuine spouses
and common-law partners already living together in Canada. CIC is also committed to preventing
the hardship resulting from the separation of spouses and common-law partners together in
Canada, where possible.

This means that spouses or common-law partners in Canada, regardless of their immigration
status, are now able to apply for permanent residence from within Canada in accordance with the
same criteria as members of the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class. This
facilitative policy applies only to relationships in which undertakings of support have been
submitted.

Undertakings are a requirement under this public policy largely because undertakings can be an
indication of the applicant’s links with relatives in Canada, which is, in turn, a factor that adds to
the degree of hardship involved in the separation of spouses and common-law partners.

Undertakings are also a requirement in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class.
A25 is being used to facilitate the processing of all genuine out-of-status spouses or common-law
partners in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class where an undertaking has been
submitted. Pending H&C spousal applications with undertakings will also be processed through
this class1. The effect of the policy is to exempt applicants from the requirement under
R124(b) to be in status and the requirements under A21(1) and R72(1)(e)(i) to not be
inadmissible due to a lack of status; however, all other requirements of the class apply and
applicants will be processed based on guidelines in IP2 and IP8.

After your sponsorship has been approved (currently six months) your husband would qualify for an open work permit.

Note that reporting him for removal is against CIC's current policy (unless there is some other admissibility issue).  Further, according to the same manual (IP 8):

The Canada Border Services Agency has agreed to grant a temporary administrative deferral of
removal to applicants who qualify under this public policy.

So even if he were served with a removal order, having an inland application underway would suspend processing the removal order.

Note that the out-of-status exception does not apply for outland applications.

Current posted processing time (from the CIC website) is 6 months for first stage approval - that approves you as sponsor and provides "agreement in principle" - or AIP -  to the sponsorship application.  Then the balance of the process generally takes 8 months or less.

Ideally, you would want to submit the open work permit application along with the inland application.  They should then process that application and send along the work permit at the same time as AIP.  Otherwise, you can apply after AIP, but it adds 2-3 months on to the time to obtain a work permit.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
WorriedMex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorriedMex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 1:37am
Hello Cduquett,

To my understanding, your case is very complicated - I had a friend here in Canada with a similar situation (Mexican as well), and even though her husband tried by all means to make her stay (he is a successful business person, and was willing to pay thousands to bail her out), CBSA ended up removing her (she was detained for 2 weeks, while he appealed the removal before the Federal Court, but not even that stopped her deportation ). I suggest you to consult an immigration lawyer, as you will need an expert's opinion before you flag out your husband's information with CIC.

This is my humble opinion, based on my friend's experience.

Good luck and God bless us all!!!
One look,
One thought,
One touch,
One word... CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER!!!
@ Toronto sent 23Feb12 │ e-CAS received 21Mar12 │ in process 30Nov12 | test 10Sep13 | ツツツ OATH 21Nov13 ♬♪♩♬�
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 12:44pm
WorriedMex - was your friend in Canada's removal order because of an inland application?  I've read of many cases in which a removal order is not stopped by a subsequent inland application but I haven't seen any cases in which an inland application for an eligible applicant triggered a removal order, and it runs contrary to the published information from CIC.

The OP stated that they could not afford a lawyer, although that clearly is their best option (and I suspect they know it).

Ordering of events is quite important here, as are the circumstances of the specific case. Having the application filed before a removal order has better appearance than after - the latter looks like an attempt to avoid removal, the former looks like an attempt to resolve the status issue.  The fact there are children involved also has direct bearing, as the best interests of the children are an important concern under Canadian law.

But I do agree that the case is complicated.  However, it seems that waiting until the husband is served with a removal order has its own risk as well.

To the OP: if you can find an immigrant support group or legal aid group, they might be able to provide you with at least some modicum of legal advice in this area.  While I have provided you with what insight I can based upon the CIC processing manuals, I'm not an attorney.  If you cannot find competent legal counsel, the only thing you can do is educate yourself.

Good luck!

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
cangurrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cangurrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 7:46pm
COMPUTERGEEK WROTE ON 06 NOVEMBER 2012
"Spouses and common‑law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Canada who wish to apply for permanent resident status are no longer required to have legal immigration status provided that they have an eligible sponsor. All other eligibility requirements continue to apply."

"The Canada Border Services Agency has agreed to grant a temporary administrative deferral of
removal to applicants who qualify under this public policy."

How do both laws apply THIS YEAR.....and IF the CBSA has already issued a 'voluntary departure' to an OVERSTAY who applies for INLAND spousal sponsorship a week later? No criminal or misdemeanor record applies ONLY the overstay. How can the 'out-of-stay' person appeal the voluntary departure?
+MIND=+LIFE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic