Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR renewal before expiry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajshaikh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR renewal before expiry
    Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 3:37am
I landed in Aug 2010.

My PR was issued in Mar 2011 and expires in Mar 2016.

I've only stayed in Canada about 30 days since landing. I have residency in another country & Canada and so have to shuffle between the two countries regularly.

I feel it will be impossible for me to accumulate another 700 days in Canada from now until Mar 2016. However I know I will be able to accumulate 730 days or even 1095 days if I get a fresh start on my PR.

Is it possible for me to renew my PR card now so that the new PR card is valid from lets say Mar 2013 to Mar 2018 (so that in the next 5 years I can regularly travel in/out of Canada and still meet the PR obligation).
akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 6:07am
Originally posted by ajshaikh ajshaikh wrote:

I landed in Aug 2010.

I've only stayed in Canada about 30 days since landing. I have residency in another country & Canada and so have to shuffle between the two countries regularly.

I feel it will be impossible for me to accumulate another 700 days in Canada from now until Mar 2016. However I know I will be able to accumulate 730 days or even 1095 days if I get a fresh start on my PR.

Is it possible for me to renew my PR card now so that the new PR card is valid from lets say Mar 2013 to Mar 2018 (so that in the next 5 years I can regularly travel in/out of Canada and still meet the PR obligation).

Residency assessment window is a rolling one and is not tied to PR card expiration dates (i.e. at a any given day you should be able to demonstrate that you stayed in Canada for 730+ days in the past 5 years).

Your clock started ticking when you landed - in Aug 2010.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 12:45pm

Quote ajshaikh:
Quote I landed in Aug 2010.

I agree with akella.

Note: application to "renew" is about obtaining a new PR card. Nothing is renewed, actually, but rather the Permanant Resident applies for and is issued a new PR card. As stated repeatedly, the dates on the PR card are not relevant to the PR residency obligation, which begins the date you landed and became a PR.

Also note:
"I landed in Aug 2010."
versus
"I have a PR issued to me in Mar 2011."

These are inconsistent. Perhaps you mean a PR card was issued to you in Mar 2011? Again, for purposes of assessing your PR residency obligation, the date the PR card was issued is not relevant.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic