Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btmilan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extension
    Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 10:48pm
I am a pastor at a church in Manitoba.  I am eligible to work without a work permit because I am clergy.  My visitor record runs out at the end of the month.  I have just sent off to extend it.  I have been offered a position at another church that wants me as soon as possible.  Is there any way to do this other than waiting for my extension and then applying to change conditions on my visitor visa and waiting another 2 and a half months?

For example, can I go back to the States (my home country) and then come back through with a letter from the new church offering me the job (like I did the first time) and reapply for a new visa at the door?
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by btmilan btmilan wrote:

I am a pastor at a church in Manitoba.  I am eligible to work without a work permit because I am clergy.  My visitor record runs out at the end of the month.  I have just sent off to extend it.  I have been offered a position at another church that wants me as soon as possible.  Is there any way to do this other than waiting for my extension and then applying to change conditions on my visitor visa and waiting another 2 and a half months?For example, can I go back to the States (my home country) and then come back through with a letter from the new church offering me the job (like I did the first time) and reapply for a new visa at the door?

Your case seems so simple- you do not need a work permit to work and you do not need a visa to enter Canada. It seems that leaving for the US and turning right back is the best option and yet you have applied for an extension of your TRV/VR which should show good faith to the minds of POE officers that you're not taking advantage of your being an American. I think having a genuine offer/letter (if something similar is what you showed 2 yrs ago to obtain your VR, worked) from the "new church" who wants your services would be sufficient to get your work permit at the border. If you leave on or before the expiry of your VR then you had worked with the limitations/allowances initially given you and you are now establishing a "new entry".

But when in doubt, call CIC and ask the best course of action you can take.

Edited by job_seeker - 08 Feb 2010 at 2:23pm
btmilan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btmilan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:10am
Thanks for the input.  I called the Call Centre and they said that I could go ahead and make a new application even if my first one is not processed yet.  The big problem is that I will not know for sure about the new job until the week after my current visa expires.  I have already applied to extend it, so I'm good for implied status, but I think i'll probably want to go to the new church as quickly as possible.  The agent told me that as long as I am eligible for extension, there should be no problem with me driving across the border and coming back.

I think that's probably what I will try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic