Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will my Canadian GC be in danger? Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will my Canadian GC be in danger? Help!
    Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 2:17am

Hi, everyone,

Two weeks ago I went to landing from USA. Last week I went back from Canada to USA by using automatic revalidation (I am H1B holder in US). Even though I finally went through US custom and immigration service at Canadian airport, they treated me almost like a criminal. It is really bad experience.

However, the most terrible thing in my mind now is that they asked me why I still apply for US green card (I have a pending US green card application) given Canadian green card. I answered that I do that for more options. They were not satisfied. They said nobody can keep two green cards together. So they forced me to answer where I want to live, Canada or US. At that time, I felt that if I say Canada, they will treat my US green card application (I believe they have my records in computer) as an evidence of lie especially given that I submitted my US GC application after obtaining my Canadian GC. I also don't want to withdraw my US green card application and don't want to let them feel I was lying. (Actually at that time, I felt that if I said I want to live in Canada, they may deny my entry). So under this anxiety, I said I want to live in US in order to let myself pass the custom. However, after my answer, they became even angrier. They said I just use Canadian GC as a backup. They said if they forward that answer of mine at that time to Canadian Border and Custom service, the Canadian agency could treat me as a liar since I don't really want to live in Canada. This made me feel very sad. I am really afraid that they do that. Then the US officer even framed a situation to me. He asked if I have green cards from both countries, which green card (US or Canadian) I will abandon eventually. To avoid self contradiction, I finally answered them that I will abandon my Canadian GC eventually if I can get my US GC. I said if I had both, I would keep US one. Such answer of mine then seems to satisfy the US officer that my intention of US GC application is still real. Then finally he let me get through the US custom. Even though I passed the US custom, I am afraid that they forwarded my answer to the Border and Custom service. If they do that, I will be liar to the Canadian government. Will my Canadian GC be in danger?

I noticed that recently US and canadian government had a new agreement on information sharing. See below.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/12/07/pol-obama-harper-beyond-the-border.html

Will they record my answer at that time? will they really forward my answers to the Canadian agency and put me in danger? Please help me figure out this. Thank you very much!

Zhu

canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 2:26am
1. It is true that you cannot maintain both @ same time. You will have to choose one over the other. They deal with thousands of people with same situation, they know people very well.

2. I don't think they can enter anything into your Canadian file with the CBSA. So its safe for now. Eventually you need to know that you must meet the residency requirements for Canada. CBSA/CIC is getting strict and starting to enforce breach of residency and removals for PRs who have no intentions to reside or settle in Canada. Simply getting a PR Card does not entitle to Canadian status forever, unless citizenship is obtained.

Both CIC/CBSA (Canada) and the US CBP/DHS know when you enter each country, so information is indeed shared. Keep that in mind when you pick which country to live in forever.
Misrepresentation will cause big problem in any of the 2 countries.
Rolang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 2:41am
Do you mean that this time I should be fine? Could you please clarify on this matter? thank you very much!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:08am
You probably have a bigger problem looming with the U.S. side of things; probably a flag in your U.S. file.

But, you do need to make some decisions. Make decisions based on what the consequences will be, and then live with those decisions, and that means giving honest answers to questions regarding them. Not a good idea to fashion one's answers based on what you hope the consequences will be for those answers. Better to simply tell the truth and live with the consequences of telling the truth. Or you could screw up both sides of things.

Intent to live in Canada is not required of a Canadian PR, and not required to "land" as a PR. You just need to comply with the PR residency obligation to keep your Canadian PR status.

Doing so, though, may preclude complying with the U.S. residency requirements for GC holders (I am not sure; I do know that one cannot maintain their GC, honestly, and meet the Canadian citizenship residency requirement). The information sharing agreement between the U.S. and Canada is going to make it very, very difficult to play games in this regard going forward.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Rolang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 2:40pm
Could you please tell me if CBP will notify CBSA of my answers especially my answers on US GC over Canadian PR to endanger my Canadian PR? Is that possible? 

You mentioned that Intent to live in Canada is not required of a Canadian PR, and not required to "land" as a PR. Does that mean even though they forward my answer to CBSA, it is still not a big problem. Is that right? 

Thank you very much!

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 6:07pm
I hope that sometime over the weekend I can address this in a little more detail. Bottom-line, though, I do not know. There is a big difference between what information an officer has at the officer's fingertips, just by entering a query into the computer, and what can be shared on a case-by-case basis. This information is probably not directly shared. It could be though. And, I do not really know, not by a long shot, what the parameters are, what the odds are.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 8:06pm
In addition, it is constantly changing.  The amount of information sharing between the US CBP and Canadian CBSA is in continuous flux, with ever increasing levels of integration and data sharing.  So even an answer that is true today might not be true next week or next year.
FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 1:18pm
My two cents:
I realize it is very tempting to hold on to as many cards as possible. I personally would try to get as many GCs as possible if I could. However, this may be a situation where greed or too much ambition may come back to bite you.

When you applied for the Canadian Permanent Residency, you were asked in which city you would like to settle because the legal understanding is you have full intention of residing in Canada. The Canadian Immigration office can make a valid argument that you misled them and charge you with "mis respresentation" in future if they realize you played both sides. Someone that is actively pursuing the American GC while he has been given the Canadian PR is in reality making a case against his "true intention" of settling in Canada. The consequences of mis-representation, of course, is a possible revocation of PR status. You may just find yourself in the future with not two but possibly not even one of the statuses in either country.

Again, just my two cents.

Edited by MajidS - 22 Jul 2012 at 2:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic