Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Young couple supporting family in poor country..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Young couple supporting family in poor country..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waverider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by launched launched wrote:

We may help out his mother, youngest sister who lives with the mother and a niece whos mother passed away and the father has moved on. ... that sounds like a bit of family to me...

jokes aside, I moved to a third world country with very little and my husband´s family thought I could solve their problems. I was a newcommer and they would imply that we pay for meals and cabs when we all went out.
So I stopped going out with them, I sat my husband down and told him that we are a family now, and though it may sound selfish, you have to look at yourself before others.
My plan, set up a budget, if they have emergencies they have to work them out, and be firm about it.

You know what they say give a man a fish... teach your extended family to fish.

Launched this is excellend advice. I know "teaching them to fish" is the best thing to do, and we have started (helping my husbands mom set up a small buisness).

But does she know how to run it? Can she do it? These questions are again, rooted in cultural differences (expecting money and buisness savy from someone with NO experience with either of these things, who has never had any money let alone money management skills).

We are trying to help but it is hard as we are busy running a buisness here in Canada, with our own full time day jobs.

I think them getting self supported is the real answer, you are right.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic