Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Violated Residency Obligations: Over 730 days.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albertcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Violated Residency Obligations: Over 730 days.
    Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 11:50pm
My mother is a PR with a valid PR card, and is currently outside of Canada.

She has just realized that she has exceeded the 730-day limit for being outside of Canada in the last 5 years.

Her current stay outside of Canada has been around 585 days. Added to previous trips within the last 5 years and her total is around 745 days. 

She is prepared to return to Canada within 2 weeks and wants to know what to expect. She is Japanese and will be flying into Vancouver.

Also, she has been a PR for about 38 years and has two Canadian children. 

I kindly ask for any advice you can give us on this matter. 

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 11:53pm
Hi

Originally posted by albertcourt albertcourt wrote:

My mother is a PR with a valid PR card, and is currently outside of Canada.
She has just realized that she has exceeded the 730-day limit for being outside of Canada in the last 5 years.
Her current stay outside of Canada has been around 585 days. Added to previous trips within the last 5 years and her total is around 745 days. 
She is prepared to return to Canada within 2 weeks and wants to know what to expect. She is Japanese and will be flying into Vancouver.
Also, she has been a PR for about 38 years and has two Canadian children. 
I kindly ask for any advice you can give us on this matter. 

It is unlikely that she will be reported. Most likely just waived through with the usual customs formalities. By the way, the limit being outside Canada in each 5 years period is 1095 days, not 730.
PMM
albertcourt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albertcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:06am
Thanks for the fast response and pointing out my error. 

I had reversed the numbers and believed she was only allowed 2 years outside of Canada and not 3. 

What a relief. 

Thanks again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic