Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One way ticket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkar68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One way ticket
    Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 6:24am
My wife got a visit visa to Canada to visit me and my wife.
I want to  buy her ticket, but I am not sure about when she is going to leave.
I am hoping she will stay to extend for a year.
Is it ok if I buy one way ticket?
could they refuse to allow her to come because the ticket is one way?

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 1:36pm
There is generally some risk a person attempting to enter Canada as a visitor may be denied entry if the POE officers perceive that individual has intentions of staying, not just visiting. The lack of a return ticket can be a factor in such an assessment. However, how these things go can vary considerably, depending on many individual-specific factors.

Spouses of individuals living in Canada are in the position of being somewhat favoured, but yet also particularly subject to inferences their intentions may be to stay not just visit. Obtaining the visa itself is, of course, a very good sign. But not entirely conclusive as to how it will go at the POE. (For example, if the individual admits to intending to stay longer than the visa is for, or has baggage including items CBSA may perceive to indicate an intent to stay longer, that can tip the scales negatively.)

Reminder: a visitor visa is authorization to enter Canada as a visitor. Actual entry into Canada, however, is always subject to screening at a POE when an individual attempts to actually enter Canada. To enter as a visitor, the individual must, of course, be visiting, and in particular a visitor's visa does not authorize entry into Canada for any other purpose than to visit.   
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
bachelors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bachelors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 4:16am
im planning to get my parents (indian passports- both between 60-65 yrs) visit visas to canada...where can i start? 

is the form- TRV?

they just want visit/tourist visa..NOT supervisa.

*is it a must to buy tickets before applying for visa? i saw in the checklist http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5484E.pdf that the return tickets etc are needed?

any help would be appreciated- thank you!
Received August 2012, Processing started Feb 2013, Test Dec 2013
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 1:09pm
Hi

Originally posted by bachelors bachelors wrote:

im planning to get my parents (indian passports- both between 60-65 yrs) visit visas to canada...where can i start? 

is the form- TRV?
they just want visit/tourist visa..NOT supervisa.
*is it a must to buy tickets before applying for visa? i saw in the checklist http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5484E.pdf that the return tickets etc are needed?
any help would be appreciated- thank you!

Note it says, "if applicable" It is not necessary to purchase a return ticket before applying.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic