Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New immigrant services? From China to Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pluckyduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New immigrant services? From China to Canada
    Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 8:48pm
My wife has an interview set for Oct. 15 in HK and I will be there with her.  Very excited, anxious, and nervous all at the same time.  For those who've experienced the interview through the HK visa office, how common or rare is it for the visa officer to approve the application on the spot, attach a visa sticker on the passport for immediate travel?  

Anyhow, I would like to inquire into what the Government of Canada offers for new immigrants.  Will she be able to apply for a  health card, a SIN card, and have access to free ESL (english second language) classes in school?  I live in Calgary and that's where she will be, can someone please direct me to the proper address location for health and SIN card?  

Many thanks!

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 10:16pm
Hi

Originally posted by pluckyduck pluckyduck wrote:

My wife has an interview set for Oct. 15 in HK and I will be there with her.  Very excited, anxious, and nervous all at the same time.  For those who've experienced the interview through the HK visa office, how common or rare is it for the visa officer to approve the application on the spot, attach a visa sticker on the passport for immediate travel?  
Anyhow, I would like to inquire into what the Government of Canada offers for new immigrants.  Will she be able to apply for a  health card, a SIN card, and have access to free ESL (english second language) classes in school?  I live in Calgary and that's where she will be, can someone please direct me to the proper address location for health and SIN card?  
Many thanks!

1. No she won't get the visa immediately after the interview, it would be unlikely that she is told the result immediately.
2. Alberta, when she "lands" she is eligible for Health Insurance immediately no, waiting period. She also could get her SIN at a Service Canada office immediately.
3. Google "LINC" for Calgary to see what is available.
PMM
chipsfan7mary4 View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipsfan7mary4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 9:54am
My wife went through Hong Kong, had an interview that I attended and go her Visa the same day.  Another Canadian was there with his wife and she got her visa the same day as well.  Both wives were told to come back at 1 pm the same day as that is the time they hand out visa to everyone, family visa, student, and work.  Our translator did say that it was out of the ordinary to get the visa the same day.  However there are 2 cases for sure.

My wife was on my work benefits right away and Alberta Health care the day after she arrived.

My took a number of LINC classes in Edmonton and met some people from China.  She was happy to have people who spoke the same language and were going through the same experience.
pluckyduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pluckyduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 12:16am
Originally posted by chipsfan7mary4 chipsfan7mary4 wrote:

My wife went through Hong Kong, had an interview that I attended and go her Visa the same day.  Another Canadian was there with his wife and she got her visa the same day as well.  Both wives were told to come back at 1 pm the same day as that is the time they hand out visa to everyone, family visa, student, and work.  Our translator did say that it was out of the ordinary to get the visa the same day.  However there are 2 cases for sure.

My wife was on my work benefits right away and Alberta Health care the day after she arrived.

My took a number of LINC classes in Edmonton and met some people from China.  She was happy to have people who spoke the same language and were going through the same experience.

Interested in your experience, what you saw, what the process is like when you accompanied her to the interview.  Can you guide me through your morning?  During the interview, are you in the same room as your wife and translator?  Are you able to speak with your wife and help with translation?  Was the interview strictly with her or did the visa officer made inquiries with yourself as well?  How long was the duration of the interview itself?

You must've been jumping for joy when you guys heard the good news :)  

Thanks!
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipsfan7mary4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 6:52pm
Hey.  I will check my computer when I get home from work.  I have a link saved from the last forum that has a play by play of what happened that day.  I can't remember too much as it was almost 4 years ago.  I do know that our translator told us that sponsors that come would just go in to say hi.  Very rare that they interview the sponsor.  However,  I stayed for the entire interview and the other sponsor there stayed with his wife as well.  In fact the VO ask to speak to that guy alone.  He told me that the VO asked about the language issues and I guess the guy, who was an elderly business man, convinced him that all was good as they got the visa the same day.  I will post that link as soon as I can.

Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipsfan7mary4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 9:19pm
Here is the link.

http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42945
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic