Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Cic Notification of Seizure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Cic Notification of Seizure
    Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 3:51pm
Hi,

I need your advice because I have a situation right now. I am an international graduate student currently studying in Canada. I went for a written driver’s examination. After the exam, I meet two guys that wrote the exam with me and we got talking. I informed them of my intentions to get my driver’s license sent to me from my country. Luckily they said they are actually planning the same. Since we are student of the same school and we are from the same country, one is even from my department in the school we agreed to save cost by getting their own license sent to my brother and then my brother added mine.  Making three licenses in a package all with different names and information. It was indicated on the waybill that the package contains 3 licenses no form of concealment or any foul play

So my brother sent it to me and we all contributed the money meant for the courier. But surprisingly, it was held. Instead of the license to be delivered by the courier, I got a notice of seizure mail from CIC with the description of the item seized being individual names, and date of birth on the licenses. And a message to the client which states that: If you want, your documents will be returned send your request by fax to the fax number of the officer below. 

(1)It was stated beneath the filled form that item seized from international mail and courier service will be disposed off in accordance with the immigration and refugee protection regulations. Should you wish to discuss this matter you may contact the fax within 30days of seizure

(2)The information provided on this form is collected under the Authority of the immigration and refugee protection Act. It is protected by the privacy act and is accessible to you and will be stored in personal information bank number CIC PUU 180.

(3) The notification states that it was held under immigration and protection act section 140: An officer may seize and hold any means of transportation, document or other thing if the officer believes on a reasonable ground that it was fraudulently or improperly obtained or used or that the seizure is necessary to prevent its fraudulent or improper use or to carry out the purposes of this Act.

Now, the other two guys involved are saying it is not a big deal that we should forget it as they are not ready to engage in any tussle with the immigration. Because they might try to verify the authenticity of the license. On my own part, being the receiver, I fear having a bad record because I will be applying for SOWP for my wife to be very soon. I don’t want my applications rejected on bad record grounds. Yet I need the two guys to agree with me because if Cic wants to confirm from them and they deny out of fear, I will be in a big mess. Does number 2 have a bad effect on my record? If I refuse to make request for the seized document, will there be a bad record or can this affect my future applications? Please advise as I am having sleepless night already.

Thank you

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic