Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Student Visa for my wife who has been sponsored
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Student Visa for my wife who has been sponsored

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spousal immigration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Student Visa for my wife who has been sponsored
    Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:44pm
Hello:

We applied for spousal immigration in early July this year. The application on the cic website still as of this date says that it is in process.
My wife has an admit to Masters program at University of Alberta for Jan 2010. We have applied for student visa. 

What will happen to her PR application if we apply for student visa? Will it be transferred from the New Delhi Consulate to Buffalo consulate?

Will she have to go back to India to submit her passport for stamping when her application is approved for sponsorship?

If yes, how long does she have to go back to India and submit her passport? Are there any timelines?

IslandGirl View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 3:25am
Since you mention India I'm going on the assumption that this is an outland application.
No, her application will not be transferred - being ND, she should be nearing the end anyway.
Yes, she will have to either go back herself to have her passport stamped or send it with someone she trusts and have them bring it back to her in Canada. (India will not send the passport back to her in Canada)
How long she has for passport stamping is a bit dependent on the expiry of her medical, if it's soon - her time-frame for stamping will be shorter than "average". Typically you have 60 days, again - that's typically. The PR visa will have an expiry date on it and she must land before that date.

Originally posted by Spousal immigration Spousal immigration wrote:

Hello:

We applied for spousal immigration in early July this year. The application on the cic website still as of this date says that it is in process.

My wife has an admit to Masters program at University of Alberta for Jan 2010. We have applied for student visa. 

What will happen to her PR application if we apply for student visa? Will it be transferred from the New Delhi Consulate to Buffalo consulate?

Will she have to go back to India to submit her passport for stamping when her application is approved for sponsorship?

If yes, how long does she have to go back to India and submit her passport? Are there any timelines?

Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
My previous profile
explorer88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote explorer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 10:15pm
Hi,
My husband has a PhD admission for fall 2010 at one of the Toronto universities.
Now I am confused, I do not know if I have better to sponsor him at this time and let him to get his PR first or I let him to apply for the student Visa and after he comes to Canada, I sponsor him for PR? I was also wondering how long more does it take if I apply for his PR inside Canada?
I'd also be grateful if someone can tell me about the things a person can do or have with the student visa(Like work or health insurance coverage)
Thank you
britincanada View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britincanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 10:54pm
It can take around 18 months - 2 years for an Inland application, it usually takes less time to apply outland plus the benefits of outland in your Husbands home country are that he can leave Canada any time if he needs to and return any time during the process, also if he is denied PR he has the right of appeal where with the Inland application you have no right of appeal. I would have him come on a student Visa and apply for PR outland once he has arrived as with the Student Visa he will have the right to be in Canada with you and by the time it expires he will most likely have PR! With Inland you cannot leave at any time as it will make the application void!

As for health care your husband is eligible for OHIPhttp://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_dt.aspx#Q1 with his student Visa as long as he holds a work permit too along side the student visa http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work.asp
App received by CPC-M 1/06/10
Sponsorship approved 29/06/10
In Process 15/07/2010
VISA & PP Recvd 22/09/10
LANDED 29/09/10
ELIGIBLE TO BECOME CITIZEN 4/11/2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic