Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR Card Renewal: Tax Assessment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 8:31pm
A little bit more black-on-white here:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/lvng-eng.html

While this information is given in context of those who leave the country, please note that it also applies to cases when an individual has been resident for a part of the year.

Very clear:

You must file a Canadian tax return if you:
  • owe taxor
  • want to receive a refund because you paid too much tax in the tax year.
Again, not a word about having taxable income as something mandating the filing.
It says as directly as it is possible: you owe tax. Not "you had taxable income, employer withheld, and now you need to reconcile".

And it says black on white that it applies to cases when a person has been a resident of Canada:

What income must you report?

For the part of the tax year that you are a resident of Canada

You have to report your world income (income from all sources, both inside and outside Canada) on your Canadian tax return.

For the part of the tax year that you are not a resident of Canada

After your departure from Canada, you pay Canadian income tax only on your Canadian source income.

So I'm afraid Spellbound may be right. I'm also glad he received this information from CRA.

Edited by ski - 26 Mar 2013 at 8:33pm
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 8:36pm
From another source:

You must file a return if you:

• owe income tax to the government;
  • expect an income tax refund from the government;
  • are applying for the GST credit;
  • are eligible to receive the child tax credit (for low- and middle-income taxpayers with children); or
  • are asked by the CRA to file a return.

With that said, I certainly understand dpenabill's concern about inappropriate practices of some employers.

One possible preventive measure is to sign up for My CRA Account for individuals and verify the submission of T4 in that online account.

If someone was employed and employer submitted its T4 information to CRA on time, then it will be visible in My CRA Account of the individual. If the T4 doesn't show up there by March - then it is time to inquire.

Edited by ski - 26 Mar 2013 at 9:10pm
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 2:38am

Make no mistake: anyone who is regularly employed in Canada almost certainly is obligated to file a tax return. CIC understands this. If and when CIC requests CRA Notices of Assessment and the PR (including PR applying for citizenship) fails to produce CRA Notices of Assessment for a year the PR reported to have been employed in Canada, CIC then has reason to be suspicious, and quite often will be, with predictable consequences.

I hestitate to further engage in a back-and-forth about the obligation to file a return for anyone who is employed. There is so little doubt about the virtual certainty that an individual who was regularly employed in Canada is obligated to file a Canadian tax return for that year it is a bit like going back and forth about a matter of general knowledge.

But, given the context in which the question arises, and given what I now perceive to explain some aspects of what has been reported about responding to RQ in the citizenship application process, I get the sense that there is indeed a more widespread misconception than I anticipated, so I will set out an explanation as clearly as I can.

To be clear, what I am talking about is the obligation to file a tax return by any individual regularly employed during the year. Almost everyone earning an income in Canada, at least any appreciable amount of income, is obligated to file a tax return. In particular, anyone on a payroll who is having tax withheld, almost certainly is obligated to file a tax return.

Do not be confused about what it means to "owe tax" -- it is not dependent on whether or not there is a balance due.     

Originally posted by ski ski wrote:

You must file a Canadian tax return if you:
--- owe tax; or
--- want to receive a refund because you paid too much tax in the tax year.

Again, do not be confused about what it means to "owe tax."

Do not confuse a zero "balance owing" with whether or not there was tax payable, a tax owed.

In particular, even if the balance owing is zero, that does not mean the individual owes no tax for the year. A zero balance owing can mean, and usually will mean for anyone on a payroll having taxes withheld, that the full amount of the tax that is owed has been paid, typically paid by the amount withheld. Again, with emphasis, zero balance due does not mean there was no tax owed, but means that the tax owed has been paid.

Note: Anyone who has had taxes withheld is either entitled to a complete refund of ALL amounts withheld or they owed a tax. The government gets to keep the amount withheld because, bingo, the amount withheld pays the tax owed.

I will not attempt to second guess the conversation Spellbound had with the CRA. I do not know what question Spellbound posed to CRA. I do not know the context for it. I have no idea what years, if any, Spellbound was obligated to file a tax return.

I do know that almost everyone who has regular employment in Canada is obligated to file a tax return. I do know that if you fill in a tax return and on the T1 General there is a positive number for item number 435, "this is your total payable," that is the amount of tax owed for that year even if the amount entered on line 437, total withheld (from T4s), is equal to or greater than that the amount on line 435 -- the amount on line 435 is, again, the "tax owed" even if the balance due, after calculating the credits, is zero.

(If the balance due is zero, true, there is no effective penalty for failing to file, since, again, the penalty is calculated based on how much tax owed was not paid -- any percent of zero is zero -- but there is still an obligation to file a return.)

Bottom-line: It is true, there are many, many Canadians who are not obligated to file a tax return. Anyone with no income for example.

Anyone who is on a payroll in Canada, however, is almost certainly not one of those people. Anyone on a payroll in Canada is almost certainly obligated to file a tax return.

Anyone on a payroll in Canada who doubts this, who has not filed a return for any year in which they were employed and earning an income in Canada, should reconsider and file, or at least consult with a reputable, reliable accountant or tax adviser.

And don't ask the question this way: if I owe no taxes do I have to file a return?

Ask the question clearly stating that it is about someone who has been employed and earning an income in Canada.

Why bother reconsidering this?

How this relates to PR and citizenship

The question some may have is if there is no effective penalty, when the balance due is zero, why bother?

This is where PR renewal and citizenship processing come into play.

As I said previously, for purposes of the application for a renewed/replacement PR card, CIC asks for Notices of Tax assessment because those are direct, objective evidence of residency.

CIC does not enforce the tax laws however. So, alternative evidence can be and, in the absence of having the CRA documentation, should be submitted to prove residency.

The important take-away, however, is that CIC knows that anyone who reports being employed in Canada is (almost certainly) obligated to file a tax return. So, anyone who declares, in a RQ setting (PR card renewal or citizenship), employment in Canada, but who in turn fails to submit CRA tax documents, mostly the Notices of Assessment, for any year in which the individual reports being employed in Canada, raises suspicion.

Now, for PR renewal applicants, the impact of this can be diffused because a PR does not need to actually be a resident in Canada in order to be in Canada enough to comply with the PR residency obligation (given how liberal the PR residency obligation is). In other words, the particular facts of the individual PR's life may be such that the PR was abroad and/or was not earning income while in Canada, such that indeed, there was no obligation to file a tax return for this or that year. (Perhaps the situation for Spellbound.)

But, any PR reporting, in the work history section of the application, that they were employed regularly in Canada, but who does not produce CRA Notices of Assessment for the year that employment in Canada is declared, raises suspicion.

In other words, generally a PR applying for a renewed card who does not produce CRA Notices of Assessment is likely to raise questions, but may not run into significant suspicions or credibility issues if the circumstances are indeed consistent with no obligation to file tax returns, as corroborated by declared absences and the work history reported.

In contrast, the PR who reports being regularly employed in Canada but who does not produce CRA Notices of Assessment for the years in which the PR reports being regularly employed, not only raises questions, but raises suspicions.

Citizenship applicants:

For citizenship applicants there is little or no wiggle room in this regards.

If the applicant is not employed for any given year (whatever the reason: homemaker, student, disability), then, in that instance, not filing a tax return and thus not having a Notice of Assessment to submit in case of RQ, for that year, is not problematic.

But for any year in which the applicant reports regular employment in Canada (which, after all, is itself a big factor considered in assessing an applicant's residency), the applicant given RQ should submit the CRA Notice of Assessment in response to the RQ.

Pile the paystubs deep, deep, deep, and bank statements and credit card statements, and a whole lot of other paper, but fail to submit the CRA Notices of Assessment, the risk of CIC being suspicious is high.

Let's be clear about something: trust me, CIC understands that anyone regularly employed in Canada is obligated to file a tax return (even if the full amount is automatically withheld by the employer, even if there is a zero balance due), and thus they will have questions if there is a year in which the applicant declared employment in Canada but in responding to RQ does not produce the CRA Notices of Assessment for that year.

Make no mistake about this. Regularly employed in Canada means the individual is obligated to file a tax return (with very, very rare exceptions). Thus, declaring regular employment in Canada in the work history means the applicant should have a CRA Notice of Assessment for each year, for each year the applicant reports being regularly employed. And, if given RQ, the failure to produce the CRA Notices of Assessment for such years will trigger suspicion.

Yes, the applicant can produce alternative evidence of presence and residency.

Yes, the alternative documentation can be sufficient to overcome the absence of documentation like the CRA Notices of Assessment.

But will it be? And, especially for those applying for citizenship and given pre-test RQ and hoping their case is returned to a file review track, will it be enough to satisfy CIC? . . . or will it be the factor that tips the applicant's case into a "credibility concern" residency case destined to go all the way to the Citizenship Judge for an in-person hearing?

I am going to copy this into the Citizenship Forum, with some additional observations about why I gave this so much attention.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 9:59am
dpenabill, "owed" means "outstanding balance".

Because all three pages of your reasoning rely on what I think is incorrect interpretation of this very basic idea, I am not in position to argue with you on every detail of your reasoning.

You are arguing with CRA, you are arguing with the meaning of words.

What you are saying might be true, but it is not supported by your reasoning, as as your arguments in this case are largely of quantitative, not qualitative manner. Basically, it's a series of inferences coming from your personal speculation about the meaning of word "owed" which contradicts multiple written statements by CRA, contradicts the regular meaning of this word, and contradicts the reality.

In the end of the day, you can't argue with the fact that courts will rely on advice given by CRA, not by dpenabill, and that there is no penalty for not filing a tax return with zero outstanding balance. No penalty = no interest on the part of CRA to receive this information. You cannot meaningfully argue with these two specific provisions no matter how many pages you infer.

And it somewhat concerns me that you are ignoring these simple facts and keep building circles. To have a credible argument, it is better to respond to specific facts instead of reiterating the same thing.

Sorry I can't add much to it.

Just give it a 1-minute thought before coming up with another page of the same thing.

If you with to respond, try to respond to my specific points.

Show me for once, black on white, a single statement by CRA, anywhere on the net that says that if you had taxable income [beyond personal exceptions, to make your life easier]that fact itself mandates the need to file.

Because I have shown you the opposite. But you choose not to respond to that.

Spellbound received a response from CRA, and CRA does record conversations, and this response can be brought to court. But you choose not to respond to that either.

Edited by ski - 27 Mar 2013 at 10:38am
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 4:04pm
I did not mean to argue. I meant to explain.

The short of it is illuminated by a statement in a recent CBC story where it was emphasized that "CRA wants the paperwork."

You do not need to rely on me. You should not rely on me.

But, anyone who has been on a payroll in Canada for a year in which they have not filed a return, I strongly suggest they file a return or at least see a well-qualified professional about this.

And as I said, make no mistake: for those given RQ, CIC expects to see the CRA Notice of Assessment for years in which the applicant reports being employed in Canada. And a failure to submit the CRA NoA will raise suspicion.

As I said, I have no idea what question Spellbound actually asked. And I do not know what Spellbound's actual circumstances are.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

ski View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

I did not mean to argue. I meant to explain.
Being opinionated hardly does anyone any good.

Unfortunately upon evaluation of all the arguments that you presented, I have to say you did not convince me. I'm open to the idea that you are right, but so far the information that I have makes me think otherwise.

Topic starter also did not require an explanation on this specific point. They referred to CRA and got the information they needed.

Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

But, anyone who has been on a payroll in Canada for a year in which they have not filed a return, I strongly suggest they file a return or at least see a well-qualified professional about this.
This is a good piece of advice, but in my opinion for a different reason than you give. The core reason is that usually filing in such a scenario will produce some kind of refund. So an individual may always 
want to file a return to gain benefit, as opposed to be required to file to avoid penalties. Of course an individual may still need to file for other reasons unrelated to immediate factor that we are discussing.

Regarding your reasoning about weight of Notice of Assessment for CIC - I don't see a point to argue here. It is apparent that if they want to see it they will like to see it. It is also apparent that it is your right to provide or not provide anything they ask, as it is apparent that sometimes they ask for documents which do not exist or cannot be obtained, so they don't really expect to always receive everything they ask. There's nothing more to this point.

PS Sorry for many edits. I'm just trying to improve the presentation of my thoughts.

Edited by ski - 27 Mar 2013 at 7:24pm
Spellbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spellbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 6:17pm
No need to argue! :-) There is no requirement to file tax returns as such. However, the vast majority of people, even on payroll, still do it. The reason for that is the claim for refund - there is almost 100% guarantee that the Government owes you money. You have to file your tax return in order to claim the refund. However, you have THREE years to do so. So I filed my 2008 taxes in April 2012 in order not to loose my money. This worked well, I got the refund, and not a word from the CRA that I was late, not a single problem. I will file at least my 2009 taxes within a month, but hopefully later years as well.
I understand that CIC wants to see the Assessments, but it is just not available.  I have explained the reasons. The paystubs, records of employment and T4 forms actually contain much more information confirming residence, employment and income. Tax assessment does not provide any information regarding how long the person was actually present in the country or how long the person worked. The only information it provides is your income and taxes - that's all.
They cannot expect every single document they desire. Those who want to commit fraud will simply make any document on computer.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 7:34pm

Just to be clear, the key is that the CRA NoA is a key document relied upon by CIC to be strong, objective evidence regarding a PR's residency. For PR residency obligation purposes, and for RQ'd citizenship applicants.

Perhaps the emphasis CIC gives the CRA NoA is based largely on the recognition that all regularly employed persons should file a return (for reasons including refunds), whether obligated to file or not. That is almost certainly part of it. (Actually, there are substantial benefits to filing a return for most of those who are not regularly employed as well, so this aspect may apply even to those who were not employed.)

As I said, I believe (with, as ski acknowleges, a lot of confidence, and indeed I do have a lot of confidence about this) that a large part of why CIC puts so much emphasis on this documentation (both for applicants to obtain a renewal PR card and for citizenship applicants given RQ) is based on the recognition that a PR regularly employed in Canada is obligated to file a return for that year and thus will have such CRA documentation, and if they do not, that raises questions, probably suspicions. Whether or not one agrees that this reasoning (about obligation to file a return) is well-founded, the consequences remain the same, and are obvious: the failure to produce (if asked) CRA NoAs for years a PR was employed raises questions, probably suspicions.

CIC does not enforce tax laws. Filing a tax return is not a required qualification for compliance with the PR residency obligation or the citizenship residency requirement. So, CIC cannot demand, as a condition for renewing the PR card or for citizenship, that the applicant produce a CRA Notice of Assessment.

But, contrary to what Spellbound says, CIC can expect to receive certain documentation, such as the CRA NoA, and in the absence of a credible, persuasive explanation for why that documentation was not submitted, CIC can, and often will, make negative inferences from the omission.

As has been oft stated, as Spellbound also says, yes, alternative documentation can suffice. This is far more so, I would offer, in the case of a PR applying for the renewal of the PR card than in a citizenship RQ case.

For multiple reasons it is easier relative to the PR card renewal process versus citizenship; the threshold of days present in Canada for PR residency (merely 40 percent of the time over the course of five years) versus that for citizenship (three-quarters of time over the course of four years) making a big difference, the one being far easier to show than the other. Moreover, mere presence in Canada suffices for purposes of the PR residency obligation; actual residency is the key factor for citizenship.

As usual however, as always, context matters. The whole of the situation and the PR's background, history, and circumstances, all matter. How this or that detail fits into a coherent whole, or fails to fit into a coherent whole, is what ultimately makes the difference. Thus, the extent to which other evidence may suffice is dependent on how it fits into the whole, and in the absence of CRA NoA, CIC is likely to scrutinize that a lot, lot more closely, probably skeptically.

Bottom-line, and make no mistake about this: When CIC requests the CRA NoA, CIC expects the PR to be able to produce it for any year in which the PR was regularly employed in Canada, and there is a substantial risk of a negative inference for failing to produce this documentation, including CIC harboring suspicions and potentially discounting the PR's credibility, which can be very problematic . . . although, again, this looms larger, more problematic, in the citizenship application process than for PR card renewal.

Individuals are always free to test the limits of just how strictly CIC can approach these things. Most prefer to take a course of action in the other direction, toward facilitating the easiest path, the route which best assures success. My observations are intended for the latter, for those who want to avoid a court case with CIC, who want to avoid delays in getting their PR card renewed or in being granted citizenship. My effort here is to offer information which will help these individuals better navigate the system.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic