Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What should/Can I do to keep my PR Status ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enpower56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What should/Can I do to keep my PR Status ?
    Posted: 23 May 2013 at 7:49pm

Hi guys,

I'm a bit new here so I'm not really sure of the processes involved.

I have a situation and I don't really understand what to make of it.

A few months ago I applied for a Canadian Visitor's visa for which I got rejected from due to me having unknowingly PR status so I was sent a document that would let me drop PR status in order to receive the Visa but I want to keep the PR status that I only just found out about.

Apparently 30 years back my Father applied and successfully got PR status for me through sponsorship he had at the same time sponsored my brother. 

My brother went through a financial situation where he couldn't be supported so my father was sent in to "default" and so he believed that my application would fail. 

He never looked in it to so my documents were approved but I had never gotten the opportunity to receive the PR documentation or the landing documents as I had not been able to travel to Canada at the time.

Now however I would like to act upon the reception of this status though it was a very long time ago I wish to appeal the case in order to either get the status formally seen as lost (to try another application for PR) or to keep the status itself as neither I nor anyone else were aware of the status.

So Far going through the nearest Canadian embassy hasn't helped as they only seem to tell me to relinquish thestatus which is something I really don’t want to do without knowing everything. Is there some way I can get

information on what to do about my status or situation?

N.B.  The embassy seems reluctant to give any documentation about my PR status but have confirmed that it exists.

< ="application/x-dap-" id="DAPPlugin" style="visibility: collapse">
Enlightenment required.
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:20pm
Hi

Originally posted by enpower56 enpower56 wrote:

<p ="Msonormal">Hi guys,<o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal">I'm a bit new here so I'm not really sure of the processes
involved.<o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal">I have a situation and I don't really understand what to
make of it.<o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p>

<p ="Msonormal">A few months ago I applied for a Canadian Visitor's visa for
which I got rejected from due to me <span style="line-height: 1.4;">having unknowingly PR status so I was sent a document that
would let me drop PR status in order to receive the </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">Visa but I want to keep the PR status that I only just found
out about.</span>

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p><span style="line-height: 1.4;">Apparently 30 years back my Father applied and successfully
got PR status for me through sponsorship he had at </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">the same time sponsored my brother. </span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">My brother went through a financial
situation where he couldn't be supported so </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">my father was sent in to "default" and so he
believed that my application would fail. </span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="line-height: 1.4;">He never looked in it to so </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">my documents were approved but I had never gotten the opportunity
to receive the PR documentation or the landing </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">documents as I had not been able to travel to Canada at the
time.</span>

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p><span style="line-height: 1.4;">Now however I would like to act upon the reception of this
status though it was a very long time ago I wish to </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">appeal the case in order to either get the status formally
seen as lost (to try another application for PR) or </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">to keep the status itself as neither I nor anyone else were
aware of the status.</span>

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p><span style="line-height: 1.4;">So Far going through the nearest Canadian embassy hasn't
helped as they only seem to tell me to relinquish the</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">status which is something I really don’t want to do without
knowing everything. Is there some way I can get</span>

<p ="Msonormal">information on what to do about my status or situation?<o:p></o:p>

<p ="Msonormal">N.B.  The embassy
seems reluctant to give any documentation about my PR status but have confirmed
that it exists.<o:p></o:p>

1. If you never "landed" as an immigrant, then you have no claim to PR status.
2. CHC seems to believe that at one time you did "land" but you are going to have to prove to them that you have never been in Canada. You would have to apply for a PRTravel Document, which after 30 years outside Canada is going to be refused. At that point you can apply for a TRV.
3. It would be simpler just to renounce the PR status you never had.
PMM
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:46pm
I concur with what PMM has posted.

I understand why you have questions: For many in related situations (particularly situations where a child becomes a PR, as an accompanying dependent, but then does not really live in Canada for many, many years, is more common than one might think) there are various factors which may be worth examining in considering whether there is reason to pursue H&C grounds for retaining PR status, but frankly there is no hint, in the circumstances you have shared, of factors which would offer you hope in this regard. The duration of continued absence from Canada after becoming an adult alone weighs heavily against making a viable H&C case for retaining PR status. Not knowing you had such status does not favour you.

Bottom-line, with emphasis
Originally posted by PMM PMM wrote:

It would be simpler just to renounce [any PR status you may or may not have had].
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
enpower56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enpower56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 7:03pm

This is really difficult it seemed like a dream come true but its a really strange considering what I've read and I was looking forward to some advice to clear it up.

I do realize just saying I don't know can't really be viable but the truth is I didn't. I'm trying to hunt down any and all information concerning my case.

Would applying for a verification of status/Replacement of travel documents help as means to figure things out?

As you have said it has been 30years and it is unlikely that I will get the status but at least im looking for confirmation of me losing it first before applying for a TRV. The situation where I live is not the best so any ray of hope is something to look forward too.

Enlightenment required.
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:05pm
Applying for a PR Travel Document, explaining that you did not even know you had been a PR, but now that you know you are a PR it is your goal to BE a PR and move to Canada and live in Canada might be successful - I think it is dubious, but it very much depends upon the strength of the case that you build for doing so.

As PMM said, if you do apply for a PRTD and it is refused AND you don't appeal the refusal, then you will no longer be a PR of Canada and can apply for a TRV.  I'd expect that process will take quite a bit of time though.

I think it is very unlikely you will be successful, but one thing I have learned about CIC - the only way you get an answer is to submit an application and let them decide.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic