Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions re: request for an open work permit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimnchibz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions re: request for an open work permit
    Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 11:13am
Hi All;

I used to frequent this forum back in 2005-06 when I was sponsoring my wife and son from Botswana.  I'm happy to report that since then my wife has become a Canadian citizen and we have added two wonderful little girls to our family!  I found this forum very helpful and informative while we were going through the PR process.

Getting to the point, my neice has asked me to give her a hand in her bid to sponsor her partner's PR application.  They have decided to do an inland application and are aware of the specific challenges associated with the inland process.  The application is almost complete. We will include a request for an open work permit with the application and are completing form IMM1249 and associated documentation.  My question is this:
  • I don't see anywhere on the form where you can specifically identify that you are requesting an "open" work permit.  Is there some way that I should indicate our desire for an open permit or will this be assumed since the form is accompanying a PR application?
  • The checklist includes a line requesting a "Job Offer Letter" can I safely assume that in the case of a request for an open work permit that this requirement is not applicable?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers
Jimnchibz
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 12:40pm
Congrats on your growing family and your wife's citizenship.  It's so nice when immigration is out of the picture and life can happen normally!!

Yes, you can safely assume that the job offer letter is not applicable to an OWP ap accompanying an inland sponsorship application.  Just be sure that your neice's partner has valid temporary status in Canada if they are going to apply inland, and be sure that his application and the extension/OWP ap are received (together) by CPC-Vegreville BEFORE that status expires.  Track the mailing and get delivery confirmation signature.  That's what gives him "implied status" to remain under the terms of his original status until they have finished the first stage of assessment (9-10 months).  Usually we advise people to write across the top of IMM1249 "OPEN WORK PERMIT AP - DO NOT PROCESS UNTIL FIRST STAGE APPROVAL" . . . just in case it gets separated somehow from the PR paperwork.  And remind them to make copies of everything they submit!!  

Edited by RobsLuv - 15 Aug 2011 at 12:42pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
jimnchibz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimnchibz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 3:46pm
Thanks for the information.  Appreciate the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic