Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canadian Employment / Jobs > Canada Job Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil & Gas - CAPPA Program

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amikety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil & Gas - CAPPA Program
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 10:42am
At the recommendation of a friend, I'm considering taking the CAPPA certification so I can work as a production accountant. My only question is - do Oil companies (in Calgary, cuz that's where I live, lol) hire foreign workers? As production accountants?

My friend is an accountant supervisor, so I have a good contact in the field. I also have good work history with banking and management experience back in the USA - so my English is fluent as well. (American citizen by birth.) My hirability isn't a worry, because I've been offered many jobs doing retail management, until they find out I need a LMO. Sadface. Anyway, my point is, I know I can get hired based on my skills once I've completed the course work. However, I don't want to spend the money on the courses (which I don't have to pay international tuition on, yay!) if I can't get a job.

I'm in Canada for personal reasons - boyfriend - and won't be able to apply for status that way for a while (To obtain a work permit that way). I'd rather be able to get it on my own.

Thanks for any help :)
MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 7:10pm
If you are an American, you have the option of applying under NAFTA, whose requirements are less stringent than other foreign workers. If a hiring company has reservations, you may want to inform them that a permit for you is not a hassle and can be obtained easily.

More than 3% of the total workforce where I work up in the oil sands are from the US under NAFTA.

amikety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amikety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 7:19pm
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of the NAFTA option before, so I'll look into it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic